Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone call there bike a machine anymore? When I was a kid that's what we called them and I thought it was a cool name and fit. The more like a machine it is the better I like it. It seems like I haven't herd anyone call them that in 35 years, maybe it's gone the way of the kick start. I think Machine really fits a bobber and even tho mines not, I'm gonna climb on my Machine tomorrow in the 30 degree weather and go fill its gas tank.:71baldboy:

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I still here them called that now and then around the people that I know.

Machine, bike, sled, scoot, hog, [email protected] Seem to be what hear the most, but I don't really keep track of it.

(And kick starters are still alive and starting bikes and popular among a few fellows.)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
No, call my bike by her name - Norma jean because she's big and white like that photo of Marilyn Munroe standing over the air vent.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Steve, I'm not talking about naming a particular motorcycle, I'm talking about all motorcycles, bikes rides or what ever. I'm old and old school and trying to catch up. I haven't ridden much in the last 14 years and haven't been part of motorcycle culture in general. Every sport, job, or hobby has its own language and I'm out of date, but I don't want to forget my past either so I will call my bike a machine even if its only when talking to myself.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have been around bikes for an awfully long time and never heard a motorcycle referred to as simply 'the machine' Might have something to do with having a mechanic father and spending most of my life in farm country where there were so many different kind of machines that using the word 'machine' didn't really tell the other person anything - kind of like referring to the house as 'the building' - do you mean the house, the garage, the barn, the storage shed ......

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I grew up on bikes, and I too have never heard of a bike being called a machine. Must be an area thing.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
760 Posts
Growing up snowmobiling, to me a snowmobile is a machine or a sled. (Or a rocket sled).:biggrin: And a motorcycle is a bike.
Although I have been known to exclaim, "What a machine!" as I'm tearing up a curvey road on my bike. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not typically, but I've called 'em just about everything. ("Custom built?" Yeah, I cussed 'em the whole time I was working on 'em.)

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Never heard of a bike called a machine either... as for a snowmobile, up here we call them skidoos. :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm older than most folks here and it's a name that was used in the fifties and sixties. When I bought my 1966 Honda motorcycle shops were small and I had to ordered my bike, when I picked it up the shop owner brought it out and said here's your machine.
It was a common name and my older cousin from California also called bikes that, maybe it was a west coast thing.
All my motorcycle friends quit riding after they got married and I never fell in with anyone else and just road alone, I was that motorcycle nut from across the street.
I'm sure it's just an out dated name.

·
So long
2,753 Posts
Muggs, I'm about 3 years behind you and grew up in Rhode Island. I remember in the 1960's anything fast and cool was called a machine.

Hey, even the Beatles used the term in their hit Penny Lane!

In Penny Lane there is a fireman with an hourglass
And in his pocket is a portrait of the queen
He likes to keep his fire engine clean
It's a clean machine​

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think a fire engine defiantly qualifies as a machine, but I don't think something like a Gold Wing fits either scooter or machine, so I guess I will just call a two wheeled vehicle a bike.
I have heard thong panties called slingshots, and resemble the Slingshot logo.;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts