Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking for over a year for a luggage rack big enough to hold actual luggage, I finally gave up and built one myself. It is 7 inches wide and 15 inches long, and made of solid 5/16 steel rod. Now that I have it figured out, I'm considering making a few more, if it is worthwhile to me. Since there is nothing like it to compare prices, I'd like to know what any of you think it is worth.

Here is the picture:

·
Challenged Mechanic
2,771 Posts
Very nice. So many are so wimpily small these days they are not really ideal. I love the original one on my '68 CB350 (like many other UJMs of its time) that is substantial and practical. Yours reminds me of it, albeit even bigger. I guess price-wise I would take a look at the ones available and undercut them by a bit, as I assume that is paint and not powdercoating. You might want to look into powdercoating or chroming if you intend to sell and then adjust the price for those accordingly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It depends on what the market in your area will pay. I would start out at $50.00. Make sure the paint process is good. I know lots of folks who ride rain or shine. Even a little humidity will start the rust process pretty quickly.
Also take into consideration how it will mount on a different bike. It looks like a nice clean design. Good luck with those!

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I tend to agree with LW on the powder coating...something that size could be done in an oven at home (no, not the wife's oven lol) and the kits are not that expensive.....

as for price....Google "Solo Rack" (no quotes) and click on the shopping tab....they run from $90 to around $170 (higher end are detachable) so ECAVE has a decent price...$50 to $75 (though I probably would go with a mid range price since your home made one is larger)

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you decide to chrome some that would most likely up the price. Depending on your cost I would say $100 plus.

Personally I would like to pay less but I am cheap.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Nice looking rack... I paid $75 for a flimsy POS that broke after snugging down a tent on my scooter last summer. Thought about making one myself but Daytona BikeWeek creeped up on me, so I just bought one (better quality).
Powder coated... I'd pay $80-$90 for it off the top of my head.

·
Registered
1 Posts
a removable luggage rack

check out this product, its designed to get you to from your home to the hotel, its the strongest rack around and its removable, requires no modification its called the Rack

1 - 7 of 7 Posts