Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I just got the tach on and realized my cable is shot too. I ordered a NOS one on eBay for $25 so it should be here Monday. The spindle was still turning so I didn't realize it was completely sheared until took it apart. Old tach was pretty well froze up, probably what sheared the cable. Hopefully Tuesday I'll have a working tach again!!

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
It was the cable that snapped on mine. The tach itself made a lot of screechy sounds. Worsa when it is cold. It was probably seizing inside. Let me know what you can about fixing the tach. I see cables on ebay, and a tach speedo combo for about $90. My bulbs are out too. Working on rear blinkers / flashers. Bought a set of 4 LED. Probably need a flasher unit too. If I get these working I will use the other two flashers on my XS1100.

UK

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That's an awesome deal for $90! Are those NOS or used? I found one site a while back with a cluster for $60 used but it was posted 8yrs ago... I've got too much in mine so far 😖. One of the bolts that holds the unit to the bike is busted as are a few of the other interior plastics. Maybe I'll try to hunt down a new one some day. Right now I've only got the LED headlights and have traditional replacements for the others. Just replaced the backlights in the cluster, not that I'm riding at night right now. Probably go to an LED brake light (maybe modulated) once I burn through what I've got. Oil change is next on the list of maintenance. How often do you change yours out?

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
A lot of the ebay stuff was NOS. That was the case with the swing arm shaft I bought from England. Delivered to my door for about $70. I prefer lights on, not modulated. We have a lot of bicycles and E bicycles on the Island. Many have a variety of lights. The modulating lights are annoying, distracting, and make them easier to hit. Just my opinion. But it is most noticeable when there are no street lights.
I try and change the oil every year. Often there is not enough miles to warrant it, so I check for condensation in the oil.
On the XS400 filter, front means up.

UK

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks for the input. Not too many around here have modulated but I had heard some positive things as well. Didn't think about them at night. Hadn't read any stats on them either.

That's a great price on the tach /cable combo for NOS. And thanks for the tip on the oil filter. Haven't had the bike out in a few days. Haven't had time and the weather hasn't been too agreeable.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Found a nice pair of German dress gore tex motorcycle boots for sale on MotorcycleGear.com. Might help the storage situation to get something like that and use the tail box for the helmet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Found a nice pair of German dress gore tex motorcycle boots for sale on MotorcycleGear.com. Might help the storage situation to get something like that and use the tail box for the helmet.

Thanks for the heads up! That's definitely a good idea. I've worn my boots around a few days when I've only had to be out for a few hours. They're TCX goretex.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well, I got the new tach cable today. Put a new o-ring on and hooked it up. Tested with the new tach installed. It was about 4000 rpm. I took it all back apart and out of curiosity grabbed the old tach that had been left sitting with some lithium grease on it the last few days, and hooked the old tach up to the cable. It worked fine. I adjust the new tach as well just to check that it was running fine and got the same numbers on both tachs. Reinstalled with old tach and gave the new one a shot of lithium, stuck it back in the box, and put it back on the shelf.

UK let me know if you end up needing one. Maybe a little bit of grease will free yours up. If not I may hang onto it or relist it on eBay before too long.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts