Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

New to all of this so pardon the ignorance. Looking for lockable storage to put on my bike so I don't have to lug around ATGATT while at my University's campus. Primarily helmet and jacket or helmet and pants. I've searched some and have yet to find anything definitive. I imagine I could bolt a mount to the cheese wedge or through it to mount a top box. Are there any ready made mounts out there for either panniers or top boxes for this bike or does a "universal" mount exist? Thanks for any info!

IMG_20200112_152218~2.jpg

·
Registered
902 Posts
The xs400 isn't a big bike. If you go with luggage large enough to fit your helmet in there, the luggage will look awfully large for that bike. If you go with soft side lockable luggage saddlebags, you'll have to fab up some support brackets to keep the bags off the rear tire, and the bags would still be large. Another option would be to mount a trunk, but it would look large too. It would also be difficult to mount a trunk on that bike. One of my bikes doesn't have luggage, I use a coated coil cable lock and I run it through the sleeve of my jacket, and then through my helmet and lock it to my bike. Its pretty small, maybe 2-1/2" to 3". The cable when stretched out is 6' long,. so 3' long once locked end to end. Cycle Gear has then in stock all the time.
LINK; Amazon.com : Heavy Duty Black Combination Lock Cable | Best Security PIN Locking Chain Secures Your Motorcycle Gear, Bike Helmet, Jacket, Cabinets & Luggage | Waterproof Self-Coiling Master Lock With Rubber Sleeve : Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight! I've got a steel braided cable with looped ends and a masterlock already (as well as cable bike lock) so it sounds like that may be the route to go. I figured that any luggage would look out of place but wasn't sure to the extent. Another example of Occam's razor 🙃

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha thanks UK, one of these days... In the mean time I'll cable lock my gear down I think. Hoping to do so Thursday. It's going to be around 12F when I leave tomorrow at 8 am. Don't know if I'm feeling that ambitious yet.

If I'm going to get serious about commuting heated gloves might be next. I'm okay down to about 25-30 but the fingers get cold quick.

·
American Legion Rider
19,010 Posts
Just remember that black ice can form quickly at 32ºF and below. A humid morning could get dicey.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks HC,

That's one thing that's kept me on my toes while it's been cold. I've wiped out pretty good a few times before commuting on the bicycle on ice 😬. Definitely not a good feeling when the front goes to the left and the rear to the right.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,646 Posts
Welcome to the forum, usually when that ^^ happens you continue going straight ;)

·
American Legion Rider
19,010 Posts
Welcome to the forum, usually when that ^^ happens you continue going straight ;)
I have no idea one way or the other. When it has happened to me I went down
so darn fast I don't know what did what.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh believe me, I kept going in a straight line ...But slightly more horizontal than I wanted to😂. Maybe the forward momentum of motorcycles/ heavier bikes keeps them more upright, coupled with the rotational inertia of the wheels.

And as a side note I commuted for the first time on the bike today! Definitely the only motorcycle at the lot I was in. I ran a 6' steel cable under handlebars and through the sleeve/ leg of pants and helmet visor. Not sure yet what I'll do when it rains. I've got a dry bag for canoeing but need to find a way to secure to the bike or hope the back of my jacket is waterproof enough to keep everything else from getting soaked.

Thanks for the welcome Critter! So far a lot of people have been very helpful!

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
Rippa.
Lets start with the speedo area. The custom options. Front window, watch and thermometer, and a piece of tape over the high beam light. Big pic side view. Leg spats to keep the rain off my legs, Cabela plastic saddle bags, tank bag for Christmas, scooter type top box. Rear left hand view. Two 90 degree pieces. Down bit bolted to frame, other angle piece bolted to the going out piece, going down bit bolted to bags. A 1 X 1/4 flat piece goes down front and back of the bags. At the rear a piece goes up to the the bit that holds the license plate on. Going up further that piece holds the back of the plate that the box sits on. Front part of that is bolted to the grab bar. Hope the pics help make clear the explanation. There are two small filler pieces of plastic that were removed to bolt on the angle piece. All that stuff is aluminium. Notice the after market ( cheap ) mufflers. Also the non stock plastic bit hiding the battery, and the foam filters. Check the length of the arms for the mirrors. Notice anything strange.

UK

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
This is Deep Purple. Please excuse the ugly colour. Shirley likes pink and purple. My Triumph is British Racing Green.

UK

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very nice, love the clock! Did you fab the brackets yourself? Can't really tell about the mirror arms... But the setup definitely looks awesome! Are those still the original brake lines? One of the tabs on my battery cover is shot but the other two still hold it on for now. Maybe once I have a little more time on my hands in March I can start to try to rig something up. The top box looks like its a good size for the bike and are those just Cabela ammo cans? Thanks for diggin those up, by the way! I haven't come up with a clever name for mine yet lol. I've been stuck driving my truck for the past few days because of work, hoping to commute tomorrow on the 400 because I won't have to tow a ditch witch and the myriad of other tools in the truck.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,646 Posts
I love that winter look custom paint job. :)

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
When the tabs break, I drill a hole in the cover, and use a zip tie thru the hole and around the frame. Cabela ammo cases. Had the metal ones on before. I like the plastic ones better. A full face helmet will fit in the top box. I cut and fit all the aluminium bits. Used 1/4 inch stainless steel bolts. The grab bar and bracket for the plate are solid mounting points. A lot of the newer bikes do not have anything to bolt stuff on. On DP one mirror arm is longer than the other. The brake line is probably original. I will change it sometime this summer. DP is easier and nicer to ride around my Island, and in the city, than the bigger bikes. Bluzu the SV1000S was best going thru and over the mountains at illegal speeds. The Triumph is the most comfortable at 75. The XS1100 with the four in to one pipes sounds the best.

UK

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I couldn't tell about the mirrors from the pics. I think that's the size top box I'd eventually like. At least toss my boots in there and lock the helmet up elsewhere. Currently I'm just stashing the boots under my jacket and chaining it all to the bike. Who knows maybe this summer when I can afford it I'll pick up another Craigslist special to add to the 400 or just wait and try to hop on the tw train. I haven't found too many used ones near me but haven't turned over all the stones yet.

I ask about the brake line because when I replaced mine I noticed the date was printed on it. When I swapped I seemed to be getting a lot better pressure but may also be the smaller diameter hose. I cut a piece of the old line off and used it as a spacer to get the new line to seat right in the clamp.

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
Always a good plan to replace the hoses. I have a new set for the mint XS1100. I am buying mostly new bits for that bike. Like caliper pistons, bearings, tyres and so on. Sometimes the hoses collapse on the inside, that prevents the brakes from working very well, and can also hold the brake on. As in not release.
The top box is handy. Amazon has canvas saddle bags for about $35.00. I ordered a set today. Will report on the quality when they arrive.
I am going to the mainland tomorrow to look at a trailer. Deep Purple will do about 60 miles.

UK

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice! Let me know how the bags hold up. I like the look of the ammo cans on yours too. I'm going to replace the fuel lines soon, and probably tinker with a few other things (bearings ahem). Any advice on anything else I should check? And... New tach should be here hopefully in the next few days! Greece is a long way away. Once I get it installed I'll report back with speeds and revs. What's your too end on DP ? I believe you said you were only hitting 9k in 6th.

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
Just a nudge over 90. 9,000 in top gear. I am running a 5 speed motor but the top gear revs are the same. The swing arm bushing can get a lot of wear. Large amounts of water and grit get aimed at it. The seals let it pass, the bearings turn to powder, and the shaft rusts and gets worn under size. Old style bronze bushing probably last longer. the fuel line is short. Good idea to put in an inline filter. After DP has been sitting for a while, I turn the petcock to prime. You can see the fuel flowing, and he starts sooner. then I put the petcock back in the run position. Pointing down. There is an arrow on the lever, visible with an electron microscope.

UK

1 - 20 of 29 Posts