Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is the winner for ... Lucky B*gger Of The Week.

This guy - and his passenger - are darned lucky to still be in this world.
And he knows it too!!

In this video --- the on-bike camera is facing backwards towards the rider on the motorcycle (too bad). So you have to watch the video closely to figure out what happens.

He is riding on a BMW bike, apparently with his girlfriend. They are going around a curve ... and there is a flash of color. What you are SEEING is an oncoming truck that is OVER the centerline by at least 3 feet ... on the curve. It misses the motorcycle by maybe an inch or two. If you watch the rider, he actually pulls in his right arm ... to avoid hitting the oncoming vehicle with his elbow.

THIS ONE IS D*MN CLOSE!!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=284_1314863364

Fortunately, if you keep watching the video, there is a re-play with everything in slow motion ... so you can see it better.

Goes to show how fast things happen out there ... and how GOOD your reactions have got to be - to avoid biting the dust. As far as I can see, the rider here did not swerve to the outside of his own lane as the oncoming vehicle passed him ... it would require excellent judgment and timing to get that move right. He does pull over AFTER the near-miss ... but that is too late.

The takeaway here is this ... DONT hit those curves too fast. You just never know whats coming around the road headed in YOUR direction!!

LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY!!!

dT

·
Very Famous Person
9,810 Posts
--

It has been my observation that many bikers, sport bikes in particular, take many blind corners at a speed their bikes can handle. Wrong criterion.

Corners should be taken first with consideration of the safety zone, or the distance the rider can see and control his stopping or other action necessary to avoid an accident.

That was not exactly the situation in this video, but still, why couldn't he have seen the offending cage soon enough to avoid the close encounter?

This is one reason why I almost always ride in the track farthest away from oncoming traffic, even when approaching them from the opposite direction.

--

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Never ride faster than you can see.

As to your line through a turn, particularly a right hand blind corner, I also take the line to the right away from the center line. My MSF instructor said I should take the left side so I can see further around the corner. Nope. That is where oncoming traffic cutting the corner will be.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree ... he's moving FAST on his bike ... which essentially means he is over-riding his visibility through that turn. If that incident isn't a wake-up call for him, I don't know what is.

It's also a wake-up call for us too ... too watch those speeds and lines in the corners.

dT

·
Very Famous Person
9,810 Posts
Never ride faster than you can see.

As to your line through a turn, particularly a right hand blind corner, I also take the line to the right away from the center line. My MSF instructor said I should take the left side so I can see further around the corner. Nope. That is where oncoming traffic cutting the corner will be.
--

Might I suggest that you take the left track so you can see farther, but only move in when traffic is approaching. If your speed is correct, you will be able to do that without any problem. The chances are most turns will not have a vehicle coming.

--

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
The kid in the fast car who just saw Fast and Furious and now he is trying to recreate a scene from the movie won't care if I am speeding or standing still as he whips around the corner half way in my lane. He'll still hit me, and I won't have time to move out of the way.

Yes, this isn't a hypothetical. It's happened (glad I was doing it my way and not yours at the time). Sometimes it's farm trucks.

If my speed is appropriate, I can ride the right side and avoid any stationary obstacles I come across.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I watched it twice, It was hard to tell for sure, but it didn't look like a blind curve. In fact it didn't look like that much of a curve at all. The lean angle wasn't much and the terrain looked pretty open. I think it was a truck seriously drifting.

·
Very Famous Person
9,810 Posts
I watched it twice, It was hard to tell for sure, but it didn't look like a blind curve. In fact it didn't look like that much of a curve at all. The lean angle wasn't much and the terrain looked pretty open. I think it was a truck seriously drifting.
--

As drivers do that periodically, when on a two lane road, I always make it a habit to move over to the right track just before reaching an approaching vehicle. Then I move back to the left track in my lane to be as far away as possible from dangers that might approach from the shoulder (like deer or dogs) or dirt/gravel that is more apt to be near the shoulder. I constantly use my entire lane.

--

·
Nightfly
4,030 Posts
Excellent advice Ron, especially around this area where deer are so prevalent. And now with the advent of the rutting season, it will be even worse.

·
Very Famous Person
9,810 Posts
--

I'm always really on the alert, especially in those zones where signs are posted. I know one area in Utah, a migration route I believe, where something like 450 deer have been hit in ten years or so.

--

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
murphyshuman is right ... that curve was not sharp. But the motorcycle was going pretty fast, and the truck was WAY over the centerline. there was absolutely NO EXCUSE for why that truck was so far out of his lane ... maybe alcohol was involved. the bottom line, though, is that the MC rider didn't have enough time to properly judge the hazard and take evasive action. he just squeezed by the oncoming vehicle.

so I agree with everyone here ... his speed was too high for that curve ... for visibility reasons.

I've been lucky - I have never hit a deer with any vehicle. Primarily I live in the city, so its a different set of risks there. Occasionally I drive/ride in the mountains - just have not had an animal block my path yet. that's all.

dT

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Fun with wildlife relies mostly on you recognizing what you can and cannot do. I have enjoyed fun with wildlife for many seasons and it means that I recognize that I cannot control the wildlife's next action so I prepare for virtually any move. If the deer, possum, raccoon moves forward I am ready with braking and/or engine response. If they choose to stop I am in a position to go around them most of the time. I am no animal expert but how many potential moves do they really have that would threaten me? They can intrude more into my path or turn aside. How many more options do I really need to consider? A simple list of possibilities means you can preplan your response. If an animal intrudes x amount you will swerve, if they intrude y amount you will brake, etc.
Know the answers for yourself and follow your plan. You will survive the encounter if you do.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Deer can do some amazing things. My dad was backing down the driveway with his bosses brand new cadilac. Noticed a deer in the road and stopped to wait for the deer to wander away. Well, the deer must have not liked cadilacs cause he jumped on the car and literally messed it up. Mom didn't believe me that dad was getting attacked by a deer....

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Saw my first deer of the year this morning. Little tiny Bambi playing in the highway. My horn scared it off. She ain't going to last long playing in the road around here. I see tractor trailer made messes all the time.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I encountered a few of those errant vehicles yesterday on the Coronado Trail. Always a bit of a puckering experience on a narrow road. The funniest thing, though, is I came around one corner to encounter a dude on a sport bike completely in my lane! Damn! No collision, but he did not return my salutation.....

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
a sport bike completely in my lane! Damn! No collision ...

its an old bone of contention between cruiser riders and sports bike guys. I am definitely NOT blaming all sports bike, guys - or even most of them. But there are some young hotheads that do this with alarming frequency ... and sometimes take out themselves and a cruiser as well.

glad this worked out OK for ya.
I hope the guy learned his lesson !!

its pretty obvious that you read the "advanced risks" of the situation and reacted to them. great job!!

dT

1 - 17 of 17 Posts