Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I have a 1992 Suzuki LS 650, since last June, as my first chopper and it´s converted in to a bobber.
At the momment I´m not be able to post her video because a lack of 15 posts at this forum.
So, since I'm new in this kind of motocicles, I find a situation that I´m not very confortable with it.
When I ride my bike, even for a short distance (6-7km), the bottom end of the motor (side covers of magneto and clutch) stay very hot. So hot, that I can't put my palm hand in to it more than one second without burn my skin.
Today I tried to measure the temperature of the side covers with an infrared pistol, but I wasn´t very succeed, maybe because of the type of the pistol.
The temperature read was about 80-90 ºC (190 ºF).
I have a Suzuki DR 350S from 1991, and after a hard drive, the bottom end side covers of the motor don´t stay so much hotter.
Can anyone tell me if this is normal in this bikes?

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
Well, all I can say is I wouldn't try to touch ANY part of ANY motorcycle's engine with my bare hands. Does it continue to run well?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I can touch the bottom end of my Suzuki DR 350S after a hard drive into the woods, with my bare hands, without burn my self.
That´s why I have many doubts about the high temperature of the side covers of the LS 650...

The bike seems to run well, but I dont have any term of comparation due to the fact that this bike is very hard to find in my region - I think that I´m the only owner of one im my city.

Well, all I can say is I wouldn't try to touch ANY part of ANY motorcycle's engine with my bare hands. Does it continue to run well?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I have two of the same bikes, just not bobbed out. gave me some neat ideas though......Mine get hot too. I've actually melted my shoe on to my 96, due to the fact that my heels turn inward. Crazy feet.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Also check the spark plug to be sure that the fuel mixture is not too lean. If that all checks out, it's probably not overheating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts