Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I have a 2008 Speed Triple and recently came across this issue that kind of bothers my OCD-bike maintenance habits :)

I looked at the rear shock, in the lower part, where it attaches on the bike, and saw that it is sitting not quite straight (I attached a picture).

The mechanic says it's ok and I shouldn't bother, but I just need to make sure. What do you think, is this normal, do I need new bushings (although I think they come only with the shock), do I need a new shock?

Cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Worn bushings is what it looks like to me.
Rear suspension rebuild and lube time. Check the parts fiche to make sure you get all the correct parts.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
The mechanic says it's ok and I shouldn't bother, but I just need to make sure. What do you think, is this normal, do I need new bushings (although I think they come only with the shock), do I need a new shock?
I'd be very inclined to find a new bushing and get it in there. While your mechanic is probably correct, that would bug the hell out of me! I don't like things being off center, canted, or twisted when they are clearly supposed to be "straight". Will likely cause uneven wear on the bushing at the very least...

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
I agree with the previous 2 posts, worn bushing easily replaceable but I'd have to ask, does the shock seem less responsive than it used to be? It might be time to replace it which then comes with a bushing. Perfect opportunity for a little upgrading. But I must say, you certainly do have a clean machine. That area in my bikes would be filthy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your info! Thing is, you can't find the bushing separately - see the pic. I already ordered the 5 and 6 positions, but I don't think that's the bushing, right?

So it might be time for that little upgrade, which is not little nor cheap :))

As you said, it bugs the hell out of me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
I will assume that it is the original Triumph branded shock, but it is likely made by one of the major brands. I have a Hagon on my Trophy. They make one for your bike. Listed at 299.50 pounds.
I still have not been out to look at mine.

UK

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I already ordered the 5 and 6 positions, but I don't think that's the bushing, right?

So it might be time for that little upgrade, which is not little nor cheap :))

As you said, it bugs the hell out of me.
No, I think it is. I'd go ahead and unbolt it to have a look and be sure. If it isn't, and you don't want to pay to buy a new shock, there are shops that will refurbish old shocks for (usually) a lot less...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I gave up and ordered new bushings as well as a new shock :D . Broke the bank, but it will be a consistent upgrade.
After the new shock arrives from France, we will open up the old set-up and see which was the culprit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.