Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I've got a 2006 Honda CBF500. At 2500-3000rpm the bike starts to struggle as though it isn't getting enough fuel. Then at around 3000rpm it suddenly picks up on power and snatches aggressively. As you can imagine this is a real bitch at traffic lights, stop signs and bends because it really makes acceleration uncertain and even hazardous. Over 3000rpm the bike behaves just fine however. It never used to handle this way before so it definitely isn't the way the bike is supposed to behave.

I am suspecting something is up with the carburetors BUT since it is a major pain in the ass to get to them I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas before I have a go at them.

Thanks in advance!

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Well, you can check the easy stuff beforehand - valve clearance, spark quality, is the advance mechanism working - that sort of thing.

It could be carb related though - low speed jets getting a bit plugged.

If you want, try running some carb/FI in the tank.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,538 Posts
What Cmon said, try some carb cleaner like seafoam and valve clearance and spark. He has been right on the button at least once a day this week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was reading a post of some other guy that had a similar problem but his problem was at a higher mileage at the end of turned out it was his ignition coils so maybe. I recently bought a 2000 CBR 600 that wouldn't stay on and when it did it sputtered after little bit of throttle it turned out to be my carburetors were very dirty, what you can do to find out if it's your carburetor lift up your gas tank open your air intake box where your air filter would be and start your bike and spray a bit of starter spray in your air intake and if it does not hesitate in running then it probably can be your carburetors are dirty. That's just the way I did it to see if my carburetors were dirty and it gave me an accurate diagnostic if it's still doing it with daughter pray maybe check your throttle cable or your spark.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts