Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Just got done replacing my valve cover gasket, throttle cables and fuel filter. On my ‘06 Zx6r. The gasket had a pretty bad leak, and the bike had lost quite a lot of oil. After putting everything back together, I changed the oil and filter. I’ve been waiting 2 weeks to ride my baby again, so you can imagine how excited I was to hear her start up. Nah. Turned the key, heard the pump prime and hit the starter button. Crank crank crank, no start. Low fuel light (Orange circular light) came on and flashed, as well as the light saying “fuel”. I’ve searched all over Google for the past day to find a similar problem, but everyone else’s bikes seem to run, they just have the light staying on. Tomorrow is my off day, so I’ll remove my fuel pump and double check the wire connections. There’s also a possibility two of the wires are touching. They slightly turn when tightening the nuts that hold them in place. I’ll also quadruple check all my injector plugs to make sure they’re getting fuel. Any suggestions? Also, I wanted Cr9e spark plugs, but Autozone gave me the NGK equivalent. Cr9e H something. Not sure what. Could this cause the issue? I doubt a no spark situation would give me a low fuel light, but I know it would prevent the bike from starting. Thanks in advance

·
Very Famous Person
10,003 Posts
--

Two thoughts. Since you were working on the throttle, make sure you didn't accidentally hit the engine kill switch to off. Also, if your bike has a fuel cutoff switch, be sure it isn't on off or reserve which won't let the last gallon into the fuel line.

--

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: Got off work early today, so I had time to drain the tank and take the fuel pump out again. I cleaned all the electrical connectors, and now there’s no fuel light. So that’s one problem solved. As for it not starting. Something that peaks my interest: after trying to start the bike, and failing, taking the fuel line off the gas tank causes fuel to spray out of the line, not the pump. Usually, the fuel would just trickle. It does the same when I take the hose off the fuel rail. Do I have a pressure issue? If so, how would I diagnose it? I can’t be sure that any fuel is even reaching my TBs. Would it help to spray starter fluid into it? If it starts, I’m on the right track

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
Do not use starter fluid. When you say fuel sprays, which direction. Tank, fuel pump, injectors. The tank should have free flow, the pump creates some pressure to the injectors.
Did disconnect up stream or down stream of the pump. If upstream then it could be a blockage between the pump and injectors.

UK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m sorry, I don’t fully understand what you mean. I disconnected the fuel line that connects directly into the nozzle on the bottom of the fuel pump. The fuel sprays from the line, not the nozzle on the pump. Would it be possible that my injectors got clogged after leaving them out for a couple weeks? I’ve had the bike torn apart for a while now, working little by little when I have time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts