Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first bike (Honda CM200T) and I need some help with the following:

The headlight works when switched on high, however if you switch to low there is no light at all.

I took off the lamp and everything looked ok to my amateur eyes. Then I took apart the left controls and when I got down to the switch there seemed to be some corrosion on the side of the black plastic lever (thumb switch) where it contacts the three wires mounted to a little piece of particle board.

Could this be the problem? If so do I need to replace it? Is there a way to clean it?

Thank you!

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
The corrosion could be the problem. To check for sure, test the low beam voltage at the bulb plug. I would do this first before tearing anything apart. If you are getting 12 volts at the plug, it's likely the bulb or bulb socket.

You might be able to salvage the switch by taking apart the contacts and cleaning them. It will depend on how bad the corrosion is and how much damage has been done. Be prepared to locate another switch just in case it's not salvageable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sprayed it with electronic cleaner wiped away the corrosion away and but some dielectric gel on and the low beam still doesn't work. I will try testing voltage tomorrow and post as to how it goes.

Thank you!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I have to admit I have made it to 25 without owning a multimeter. Got one today.

The wires to the socket are soldered. The bulb is also soldered (no clamp/release).

Multimeter testing did not go well. I couldn't get any reading! And I don't know what I'm doing wrong. There are three wires: green blue and white. I read somewhere that Honda uses green as nuetral. So I put the black to nuetral and red to a hot wire, correct?

This is very embarassing.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
To determine the ground wire, set the multimeter to measure resistance, have the bike ignition off and touch one probe to the chassis or any metal part of the bike and the other probe to each of the wires. The wire that shows zero resistance will be your ground.

To determine of you are getting power to the light set the meter to measure DC volts, touch one probe (the black one probably) to the ground, the other probe to either of the other wires. Turn the ignition on. You know you are already getting power for the high beam, so turn the high beam on and touch the other probe to one of the two (non ground) wires. One of them should give you a reading. This will be your high beam wire.

Then turn on the low beam and touch the probe to non high beam wire. This will tell you if you are getting power to the low beam.

I still think it is simply a burned out low beam filament.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ralph.

When the high beams are on I get a reading from blue and green (not white), when low beams are on I get a reading from white and green (not blue). Seems strange. Isn't there supposed to be a neutral wire? Wouldn't it always be the same?

AND on closer inspection I can see the filament for the low beam which is completely detached in the bulb. You are correct!

Now I have more questions: It's a Stanley 6V 35/36.5W bulb (HM-29M-S?) What should I replace it with? From what I see bulbs are three prong. This means I need to wire some kind of receptacle?

Can I get one that I can change the bulb on?

Can it be 12V?

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts