Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Yamaha R6. I went on a cruise one day and I begun to hear a small ticking. As I continued on my ride it started to increase until I completely over powered the sound of my exhaust. I read forums and decided to replace the cam chain tensioner. It continued. I checked for loose bolts,exhaust leaks, and oil. Still continued. It’s coming from top end of the engine case. I have 20k miles on the bike. Any suggestions?

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
A tick isn't good. And it's a tick and not a knock? Does it do this at all speeds/rpms including idle? Did you change oil or just check the to see if it was low? Finally, are you certain it's coming from the top end because you used a mechanics stethoscope or similar tool or you think that's where it's coming from? Sounds do travel. Just trying to get a clearer picture so maybe the real mechanics can point you in the correct direction.

And Dods or Eye, get this out of the Bug Reports and Website Issues forum so others will look.

·
Registered
454 Posts
cct was first thing i thought. it is kind of low mileage though. have you checked your valves? video would be nice

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,161 Posts
Adjustable valves get tight, not loose:grin:

Hydraulic valves get loose from worn or bad hyd lifters or bent pushrods or even adjustable pushrods that have backed out of adjustment.:smile:

Probably the cam chain tensioner as has been stated.:wink2:

The cam CHAIN could be so badly worn that it is rattling around.:surprise:

Sam:nerd:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.