Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were coming back from Wal-Mart and got to stop under the interstate so traffic can come off the interstate, a OMG Harley turned toward us, nice looking bike, nice sounding bike, as it went by my wife says that bike was loud......I said nothing.

We get back in town and stop at another light, wife is talking about something then for about 20 sec she had to shut up because she could hear herself think, a diesel pickup with a stove pipe sticking up from behind the cab came by puffing black smoke and about 10 times louder than the Harley we heard previously........I waited for the loud pipe comment that never came, she just went back to what she was saying.

After a stop at Wendy's to get son lunch, we were pulling out right onto main st, she stopped because she heard a bike coming from the right(no need to stop) 2 other bikes behind him that were quiet, she says how can those 2 stand riding behind him?...........I said nothing

So now its solved, its all about bikes.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Sounds like, if you wanna keep Mama happy, you're going to have to ride a quiet bike for the rest of your riding days!!

-Soupy

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
So now its solved, its all about bikes.
Thats funny. Did you ever call her out on it?

Must be an Imposter here. "Soupy" (typically) makes his post(s) look (a lot) like "this"....
You have 8 posts and joined this month. You havent been here long enough to make fun of anyone.

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Must be an Imposter here. "Soupy" (typically) makes his post(s) look (a lot) like "this"....
That's funny. :thumbsup:

When I was a kid guys would impersonate James Cagney or Ed Sullivan. Now on the internet guys impersonate by typing like somebody else! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
OK, as an educational measure, I will post this again :

My Mate Pete, has a Harley, with Moderate Pipes.
We went for a ride.
I was on my Moto Guzzi Breva 750. Riding behind Pete.
We came to a field, with a long line of calves, eating the grass along the fence.
As Pete PASSED the calves, they peeled away from the fence, like some sort of dance lineup.
Not one of the calves even flinched as he approached them !
So, I am not convinced in any way, that loud pipes supposedly save lives !
They just pee off , people who are behind them.
Just think, most youngsters today, have boom boom stereos in their cars that drown out everything, or they have headphones on, and are twittering their mates.
So, who is listening, to loud pipes, until they have been overtaken ?
& even then, the pipes may not overcome the stereo ! :confused:

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
For what it's worth (not much) I put louder mufflers on my Harley. I loved the sound. But I was aware enough to know that many of the looks I got were from people that were annoyed by my bike, and not impressed by the noise. This was especially true when I would ride through tiny country villages and such while out for a long ride. I was disturbing the peace. I eventually put the stock mufflers back on, and I actually like it. It has enough rumble to make me happy, and I feel less that I am just pissing off others. And I can say without a doubt that my wife likes riding with me more, now that she can think peacefully.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems the point has been missed, the bikes are a problem but a truck spouting out black smoke and 10 times louder is not even mentioned. Bikes are too loud yet they are 1/10 the volume of the truck.

No I never called her on it, I want sex sometime this summer.

I have 3 bikes for me to ride, one of them is for her to ride on the back, the other 2 no one rides on the back.........she has her own bike for riding around town(Kymco Like 200 scooter).

She has never had input on what bike I have or what I do to it, all my bikes have stock pipes, one of them might get louder if I find pipes with the right sound and volume.

As I told one poster wanting louder pipes......I like loud pipes on somebody else's bike.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Not a believer that Loud Pipes truly prevent anything, but like to hear a bit of a roar regardless what I ride .. Said long ago Loud does not mean Power .. But neither does Quiet ..

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
Had them calves been deer, and coming toward the road... and NOT blocked by a fence...

I've seen it over a thousand times, deer will turn and run from loud Harley pipes.

Mine aren't even THAT loud. Normal true duals, 4"cans and 2.5 baffles.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Girls are hard to figure. I put a tuned exhaust on my truck ten years ago when I first got it. I loved it. But being the vehicle we used to tow the snowmobiles, and we'd often be in the truck for over nine hours one way on a trip, she HATED it. Recently, when the aftermarket exhaust failed, I put the original exhaust back on. When we took the truck to pick up garden stuff last week, I asked my wife if she even noticed the difference? She said she didn't notice the quiet exhaust, but the tires sounded noisier.:rolleyes:
However..... She does think my motorcycle is too quiet. Girls, go figure.:confused:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I certainly wasn't talking about women either, its everybody I have ever heard that is out there against loud pipes on motorcycles......its just motorcycles, they don't care how loud trucks or cars are, just motorcycles.

for anyone that would like their pipes louder but are afraid they would be rude to their neighbors, try this

http://www.nationalcycle.com/peacemakers-hd.html

·
Registered
886 Posts
I think all of us know why the loud pipes are hated, it's because some a-holes that have them make sure everyone knows it. "Those" guys that sit at traffic lights and rev the engine as loud as they can like yelling "look at me". The types that make as much noise as they can in residential neighborhoods, school zones and such. Sure I have aftermarket pipes on my Harley for performance but while they are louder than stock I don't wake up the neighbors or sit at traffic lights revving the engine so everyone looks and says what an idiot. I was leaving a public library one day on my bike, there was another rider on a Sporster a couple hundred feet away that started his up revving the engine loudly and unnecessarily all the way out of the parking lot and out on the road, while I barely idled out, even I thought what an idiot. We all suffer for what "those guys" do.

·
8,577 Posts
Anybike, that 'Peacemaker' exhaust is a good idea to enjoy quiet when you want it so you can really hear your MP3 player or stereo, when you are in the mood but then at the press of a button, the real beautiful potato-potato sound can be heard---best of both worlds.:biggrin:

I grew up loving the rumble and louder sound of "Dual pipes," and I must have inherited that from my Dad because every car he bought immediately went down to the Muffle store for a transplant:wink:

I do the same today on most of my bikes. You should hear my 400HP+ Hemi powered pickup when it is given it's reins!!!!:)

I still believe that "Loud pipes (CAN) save lives." In this day of drivers and pedestrians texting their lives away and not paying attention, I guarantee you that a bike with a loud exhaust will more than likely bring them out of their comatose state. Conversely, If I approach the same scenario on a Goldwing or on most stock bikes, the dead to the world person may not even be aware that another rider/ driver is even on the road (Their road) and pull in front of you or change lanes right into you etc.

Since the new electric bikes and cars are so quiet, more pedestrians are being hurt and killed as they walk in front of them, not being able to hear the normal engine/ exhaust noise of a gas powered vehicle.

There is legislation going forward right now to address this problem: I suggest a 500 watt amplifier and good quality, in-door, out-door speakers, with a usb/ mp3 input to allow the choice of the potato-potato sound or the sound of a high strung Ducati or a 4 cylinder superbike with a 4 into one exhaust!!!! Or maybe the mighty sound of a Prius----NOT:biggrin:

Believe it or not, some high priced BMW's and others actually have/ had a sophisticated sound system that blasted the sound of engine intake and exhaust sounds into the cabin of some of their cars because owns were complaining that their performance cars were to quiet:frown:

Sam:coffeescreen:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts