Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 425 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was reading on another forum someone asked the best exhaust for a shadow phantom. Simple enough question. It turned into a rant about how the gov. Needs to incite laws to protect us because we can't do it ourselves. I was wondering how others felt without going on a tangent about does being loud make motorcycles more noticeable or just upset others?

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I personally don't like loud exhaust pipes. I don't like unnecessary regulations even more. I just wish common sense was used as to where and when noisy vehicles are used.

·
Very Famous Person
9,840 Posts
--

So, WP, you don't want a "rant" about how the gov'mnt should not pass laws trying to protect us. And you don't want a discussion "tangent" about whether or not loud pipes make bikes more noticeable or just annoys others.

I guess I'm not sure what kind of discussion you are interested in.:confused:

--

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I like the rumble of a decent set of pipes myself. Even my 1998 Honda Shadow's Stock Pipes have a bit of a rumble.

I was considering Vance & Hines pipes, (and a carb kit) but it's not a "must have" on my list.

Recently I heard that the true "potatopotatopotato" of the HD is a thing of the past, due to a motor change or something. Anyone care to elaborate on THAT?

Cobra Drag Pipes were enticing to me, but someone at work said, "sure, if you like attracting the Police and getting tickets; go ahead; put Cobras on your bike!!" (I figured I'd rather be more subdued than that).

-Soupy

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
I like the rumble of a decent set of pipes myself. Even my 1998 Honda Shadow's Stock Pipes have a bit of a rumble.

I was considering Vance & Hines pipes, (and a carb kit) but it's not a "must have" on my list.

Recently I heard that the true "potatopotatopotato" of the HD is a thing of the past, due to a motor change or something. Anyone care to elaborate on THAT?

Cobra Drag Pipes were enticing to me, but someone at work said, "sure, if you like attracting the Police and getting tickets; go ahead; put Cobras on your bike!!" (I figured I'd rather be more subdued than that).

-Soupy
I had Cobras on my ACE, and they were not all that loud as long as you have the baffles in.

·
Nightfly
4,215 Posts
Was reading on another forum someone asked the best exhaust for a shadow phantom. Simple enough question. It turned into a rant about how the gov. Needs to incite laws to protect us because we can't do it ourselves. I was wondering how others felt without going on a tangent about does being loud make motorcycles more noticeable or just upset others?
Some of us like loud pipes, some of us do not. It was your use of the word "incite" that threw me. Perhaps you meant institute?

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Being loud makes a motorcycle more noticeable and it can upset others.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
IMO loud motorcycles are heard much better by those living along the roadsides (ask me how I know) than people in other vehicles. With windows up, AC or heater running, radio on, cell phone use and just possibly using ear buds, loud pipes aren't that likely to be heard in cages, especially in oncoming traffic. So I don't buy the argument that loud makes safer, which of course wasn't EXACTLY the question.

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
I myself like quite exhaust.....
I stuck with my stock....
But a louder exhaust would drown out the crappy Ninja 650 engine sound....
U know....the Ninja parallel twin rice burner sound.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I also don't mind a louder exhaust, I do mind the people who don't use common sense and at 5am feel the need to full throttle past my window. All I would ask is use your senses and at certain times take it easy. I lived in an apt. Complex and luckily I can coast down hill away from other pats. Before I start my bike up. To each his own is my opinion just use some sense. To clarify my question, I was curious what people thought of the louder exhaust. In the other forum I read what appeared as a simple question turned into others bashing the guy for even considering changing his pipes. He never did as of my last reading have anyone give a suggestion other than bashing him or arguing with other posters.

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
I hate the "look at me" asshats with loud exhausts. I good rumble is one thing, but overly loud pipes (on any vehicle) is closer to tool than cool.

I've heard all the arguments, "Loud pipes save lives" BS. And that is just what it is. I mostly hear this argument from guys that don't wear helmets either. Helmets are proven to save lives, and loud pipes aren't. So that argument is invalid.

I don't see any reason for more regulation. The current noise and emission laws are enough to crack down on excessive noise.

And if you are thinking of spouting off about "Rights." Save it. Your rights to be a jackwagon do not trump others rights not to have there quiet ruined.

It has been said that a person's right to swing their arms stops at someone else's jaw.
All loud pipes do is piss off others and make them push for more draconian regulations specifically aimed at motorcycles.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
My loud pipes have saved my life at least twice that I know of, or at least kept me from being side swiped and run over, so there is no doubt at all in my mind that loud pipes can help save lives. (But I'm not going to try to convince anyone else of that.)

Besides, safety has absolutely nothing to do with why I have them on one of my bikes.:)

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
Besides, safety has absolutely nothing to do with why I have them on one of my bikes.
Same here. I have the Cobras on my bike for the looks and sound quality. If I keep the RPM's reasonable, they ain't all that loud at all. Granted, they do scream when I bring her up to 8k, but I am not gonna be doing that through the neighborhood at 5AM.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
It's true. HD is going to start making all bikes with in-line water cooled fours.
I thought HD already HAD implemented an engine design change, that had already had a direct effect (affect?) on the way the combustion sounded. I wish I could remember exactly what I had read, but it was something along the lines of moving from a "shovel head" to something else, or whatever (I'm sure I have that wrong in description, but the premise is still there).

-Soupy

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
....................I've heard all the arguments, "Loud pipes save lives" BS............. All loud pipes do is piss off others and make them push for more draconian regulations ............

You sound like the folks I know in New Hampshire, the "live free or die" State.
I'm with ya about the excessive ways we are Legislated against as citizens, (motorcyclists among them).

I think you'd agree that a bike you can hear before it gets there, is more likely to be spotted (and even watched for), like hearing a fire engine siren before you see it. In THAT sense, at least it makes people LOOK for the bike that they hear (in most cases); translating into a more "by default" visibility, and an increase in the safety factor for the rider (no matter how small the percentage may be).

As for the noise, it's all relative. I would expect it at a rally, mid-day, but not coming down my street at 3 AM in my sleepy bedroom community. There are limits.

So the biker has a compromise to make, for the privilege of riding a bike that makes his inner engine roar............sound that is pleasing to that riders ears, able to be heard and anticipated, and still not be intrusive to the point of offensive.

Under certain conditions, (as stated before) it would be more "appropriate" to have louder pipes. Ever go to a NASCAR race? You want LOUD???!!!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
943 Posts
I like the rumble of my '02 FXD but I don't like the bark it has when accelerating and wish I could afford to put quieter pipes on it (but can't afford it for awhile).

I don't "need" to be heard coming and don't think throwing noise off the back of the bike accomplishes much anyway. My bike has a descent horn, if I need to let someone know I am there, and I am going to upgrade to an air horn.

Just my preference ......

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I thought HD already HAD implemented an engine design change, that had already had a direct effect (affect?) on the way the combustion sounded. I wish I could remember exactly what I had read, but it was something along the lines of moving from a "shovel head" to something else, or whatever (I'm sure I have that wrong in description, but the premise is still there).

-Soupy
Yeah, they got rid of the Shovelhead about 30 years ago,and if you have a real sensitive ear you can tell a little bit of difference in the sound. :wink:

(And I was joking about the in-line fours.)

1 - 20 of 425 Posts