Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Just bought my first bike, an '86 GS-550.
The owner lost the keys but told me I could remove the ignition switch and get the code on back to give to the dealer and they would make a new key.
Others have told me the same but when I called the only Suzuki dealer I know of here in Honolulu, they said it was'nt possible.
Anyone know the answer?
I already have the switch out.
I guess if all else fails I could get a really good lock smith to make a new key?

·
Registered
897 Posts
There is no code on the switch that I am aware of. However, Suzuki (proper) should be able to find your key code by looking up your VIN (maybe, it might be too old). If they can, Suzuki can send you the proper key. I had lost the key to a bike of mine and was able to get a new one from Suzuki in this manner.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Inside_Suzuki/ContactUs.aspx#CUSTOMERSERVICE

IF YOU HAVE A CUSTOMER SERVICE INQUIRY:
1) Use the Dealer Locator tool to locate your nearest Suzuki Dealer
or
2) Should you have a situation that you believe requires American Suzuki's immediate assistance you may call Customer Service at 714-572-1490. Customer service representatives are available from 8:30AM to 5 PM PST.
or
3) Put your inquiry in a letter, including copies of all relevant documents (service records, etc.). Include the 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN), your full name, mailing address, and day/evening phone numbers.
Send via U.S. mail to:

American Suzuki MC/ATV Customer Service
P.O. BOX 1100
Brea, CA 92822

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Si.
I'll check that out. I did find a lock smith that could make a key.
Its expensive here in Hawaii but alot quicker. I can have it done in an hour.
Thanks Again,
Ronnie

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To let everyone know I got my key made today.
I called a Suzuki dealer and they said that they don't cut keys in house. They use a locksmith. I found a locksmith and he did find the code on the lock. He made the key in about 10 minutes. Now I need to get a few mechanical things ironed out and I'll be riding soon.
Thanks for all the help so far.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts