Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a 2002 suzuki intruder vs 800 it is my daily driver train or shine and the love of my life. I lost the keys y'all, for good. Did a little research after wearing out the keyhole with a screwdriver and a hammer and moved on to hot wiring it, when looking at the ignition there's a quick connect with green ends that I cut and wired the orange and red together like I read to do. It turns on which is great headlights and all and turns the starter over when I hit the button but it wont fire up. Was nothing wrong with it before! I charged the battery and replaced the blown green fuse under the seat, I tried roll starting it and no spark. I'm hoping Ill just have to do something different in the wiring I've got a switch now I'm gonna try and put on but I think theres more to it than i thought. It's got a 6 wire ignition, orange, red, orange w yellow tracer, black with white tracer, grey and brown. What's going on I need help getting it outta this lady's driveway it's been there a few days. Also if I do get it going, how do i open the gas tank? I'm pretty ****ed up about my bike man.

Attachments

American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
It would sure be nice and appreciated, if you would introduce yourself to the community in the New Member Introduction forum. Folks tend to open up more if they believe they know someone just a little bit. 馃憤

That might have bypassed the kill switch or some other safety switch keeping it from firing. Probably way too late but why not get a new ignition switch and key?

You treat the "Love of your life," to a screwdriver and hammer lobotomy??????? Remind me to never ask you to work on my bikes! :eek:

Take a picture of the VIN that is on the steering head and go to a Suzuki dealer and they probably will be able to make you a new key or you may have to remove the ignition switch because there is a 'CODE' stamped on the bottom that tells the Dealer what key it needs. You may have screwed the switch up though and in that case you will need a new one with keys.:rolleyes:

Sam

Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
Plus a gas cap keyed to the new switch key

American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
Something tells me he has already screwed the pooch Sam. Too bad because I think we could have saved him.

Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
All is not lost just yet. It sounds like you already wore out the original ignition, so getting a new key for it will likely be futile.

Last year I bought a scooter that decided to snap its key, handlebars fully locked. I could have gone to Honda for new keys but this was essentially going to be a trail bike, so I did it the cheap way.

I went on eBay, bought a lockset that was advertised as working for the scooter, then installed it in place of the factory ignition. Only modification I had to do was transfer the electrical connector to the new ignition and made sure I had the wires right. If you're lucky, you can find a used lockset that's a direct replacement. Otherwise you're going to be playing with ignition wires to figure out which one makes the spark plugs live.

As for the fuel cap, you're going to have to pick it, drill out the lock, or hammer out the lock.

Registered
1985 Yamaha Virago 1000
Dawg you could've just picked the gas cap with a paperclip for like 20 minutes and brought that to a locksmith.. what the hell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts