Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I need some help. I have a 2013 Harley-Davidson breakout. I have bacini pipes two into two aftermarket air breather and that's it. I also have the Vance & hine it has the Vance & Hines fuel pack FP3 on it so I have the correct map on it from Vance & Hines. Anyway the thing is always ran excellent here's the problem that's just started. My battery went bad so it was dead for a couple of days, went and purchased a new battery put the battery in and every since I have put the battery in I've had nothing but trouble. It runs great when it's cold but 20 minutes later if I come to a stop light or stop sign and get ready to take off has no throttle response and usually dies. But here's the kicker if I turn it off and turn it right back on it runs great again until I come to another stop. This is driving me crazy does anybody know what the heck is going on here.

·
Nightfly
4,601 Posts
Could be your ECM is going bad. Since it is responsible for so many thing on the bike it's the first thing I would have tested. Electronics can do strange things. A power surge may have occurred and caused damage but no way to tell till you have it checked out. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do they do they just hook it up to the main computer that they have. I have the fuel pack which reads all my error codes and it seems like it's showing lost communication the ECM three times on each ride. Lord I hope not because that thing's probably very expensive. Thanks for the response brother

·
Nightfly
4,601 Posts
I have to say It is rare for an ECM to actually be the issue. Most of the time there is something else wrong when the bike is not running properly. For instance, bad spark plug wires, bad gas, holes in the gas line, exhaust leaks, vacuum leaks... I could go on and on, but I am sure you get my drift. But you give it a quick smell test. Put your nose by the connection and see if you have a burnt scent.

I know that this doesn't answer your question - the only thing I can think of is if you have a SERT or SEPST or TTS you could re-upload your calibration. If that worked then it is functioning as expected. Think of it like this, the ECM is like your computer. If you can start Windows (if the bike starts), then it is likely not the computer (not the ECM). The difference between the SERT and the SEPST is the tuning capabilities for the end user, that would be you. SEPST is a SERT with upgrades. SERT is no longer made, I think. TT's preferred i believe because you are able to tune the bike yourself. Plus you can use it on a second bike, just have to purchase the license.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'd check my battery and ground connections. I know my ECU is fussy about having stable voltage, and a poor or high resistance connection can create a reference voltage that jumps around as the bike vibrates. Try bypassing the ground strap with a second wire. Use an analog (with the needle, not digital) meter to monitor the voltage to the ECU as you fiddle with the connections, especially any that might have been stressed when you pulled the old battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to say It is rare for an ECM to actually be the issue. Most of the time there is something else wrong when the bike is not running properly. For instance, bad spark plug wires, bad gas, holes in the gas line, exhaust leaks, vacuum leaks... I could go on and on, but I am sure you get my drift. But you give it a quick smell test. Put your nose by the connection and see if you have a burnt scent.

I know that this doesn't answer your question - the only thing I can think of is if you have a SERT or SEPST or TTS you could re-upload your calibration. If that worked then it is functioning as expected. Think of it like this, the ECM is like your computer. If you can start Windows (if the bike starts), then it is likely not the computer (not the ECM). The difference between the SERT and the SEPST is the tuning capabilities for the end user, that would be you. SEPST is a SERT with upgrades. SERT is no longer made, I think. TT's preferred i believe because you are able to tune the bike yourself. Plus you can use it on a second bike, just have to purchase the license.
Awesome I'll check that thanks man , appreciate you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts