Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you guys might not notice it with your bigger bikes but my engine is only 150cc and I feel like it's not as powerful as it used to be back in the spring. It takes longer to accelerate and it struggles more uphill. I used to be able to go 45-55 uphill and now it will like slow down to about 30 and struggle. I also take off from a stop slower. What kind of things cause this too happen and what things should I check? Could it be the battery problem I am having and currently working on?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
How is the exhaust system on the bike? An engine that cannot breathe right will lose power. Do the normal stuff first, check air filter, check spark plug to see if you are burning rich or lean. It may be just me, but I feel my bike runs better after a fresh oil and filter change.

·
8,621 Posts
:biggrin:It would help if we knew what brand of scooter and how old, how many miles and most importantly, is it a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke?

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
+1 on engine not breathing well. A clogged air filter or exhaust can cause a lot of power loss.

Lack of fuel flow at max rpm can limit power. Consider cleaning out the fuel bowl, inspecting for debris, adding a new, inline fuel filter. Put a long hose on the tank and see how well it flows into a cup.

Timing.... insufficient spark advance will cost you power. But it's rare that's the problem. But do check or replace your plug, and GAP IT CORRECTLY.

Loss of compression. If the engine has been run low on oil and the rings damaged, cylinder scored, it will be hard to ever get it to make full power again. Run a compression test, then add a few drops of oil to the cylinder and re-test. If it comes up a LOT wet, you may need a cylinder bore / new rings.

Sounds to me like you need to find a good scooter mechanic and pay them for 1-2 hours to properly diagnose why your bike isn't making full power anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts