Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the highway to work this morning, going 65ish, I'm in 6th gear. For a little bit I feel like the bike was revving too high for 6th but I can't be certain.. Anyway, halfway through the ride the tachometer starts spiking to its limit and I lose power for an instant. I lay off the throttle and it decelerates like normal, I get back on and it accelerates but is intermittent with these tach spikes and loss of power. I slow down to 55 and put it in 5th gear, the same thing happened, usually in the high rev, 7-8k+. Now matter how steady I kept my throttle hand, the needle would bounce around and cut off power. I was juttering down the highway like I was on a rocking chair for awhile. I got to my exit and engine braked through the gears to 3 and came to a stop light and put it in first. From then on it seemed fine, but I never got into that 7k+ range after that so IDK..

I haven't done anything to the bike (09 Ninja 250r) recently but change a light bulb and the oil is about 400 miles old.. What the F happened?!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Check the battery connections and look for a loose or chaffed wire. Sounds like an intermittent ground.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
****ty thing is I won't be home until probably 9 tonight, and I have several trips to make from now until then!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Clutch? Tachometer spiking makes it seem like your clutch is slipping and. This happened to my wife's car, she would give it some gas, and the tach would spike. See if you can put your bike in 3rd or 4th and give it some gas (while holding the brake) and ease the clutch out. Does it grab right away or is it slipping some still?

Since you have an 09 its probably just an adjustment, you shouldn't have much slack in your clutch. I'm not good at describing an adjustment, I usually just turn the adjusters one way, ride a little, and decide if I should turn them more, or the other way. There are lots of videos on it though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A similar thing happened to me on my new v star 1300. The clutch cable was adjusted such that the clutch wasn't engauging completely whihc limited my top speed. I could put it in any gear, but after a certain amout of power from the engine, it reved and no more speed. I adjusted the clutch at the handle bar and behind the casing. That fixed it, and was pretty easy. Hope that's all you have to do!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At first I thought it was the clutch slipping too, but when the tach spiked, the engine did not rev with it..

Also, I just took a couple of short trips and everything fine worked again... I varied the RPMs in every gear, took it to 12k and back and couldn't reproduce the error.. Maybe it was a fluke or maybe it'll happen again. I'm going to check some electrical connections tonight if I have time, also the clutch just in case

·
Registered
219 Posts
May get worse at high temperatures... The hotter oil gets the thinner it is becomes. As it gets thinner then, it provides less friction/pressure on the clutch.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

Since I got home so late the first night it happened, and the problem didn't actually happen again for the next few days, I made the mistake of never looking into it..

Well let me tell you what happened last night: I was riding home from my night class and about to get on the interstate when it happened again. Power was cutting out, tach was flying all over the place, I couldn't accelerate at all so I had to pull over to the side. Coincidentally there was an accident and two lanes of the highway were coned off. There were a couple sheriffs on-scene, and a tow truck guy. Well after about a minute of me sitting in front of these guys trying to figure out what the eff is going on an officer and the tow truck guy come over and start talking to me. They asked if I was out of gas, I said no and pointed to the tachometer which was dancing madly back and forth without me even touching the throttle. I said it has to be electrical and the tow guy said he had some tools, lets check the battery. (hats off to nogoa, shoulda listened!) So I wheel my now completely dead bike over to his truck and we take the seat off. Sure enough one the leads is barely hanging on, we tighten it down and she fires right up like new. I thanked the driver and commented on the luck of me breaking down right here of all places. It was lucky because I took the tool pouch of the tail space awhile back so I'd be stranded there for awhile. First thing I did when I get home? Put the tools right back in.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow... that's a little scary, man. your brand new bike craps out on the freeway and goes crazy?
You're tellin' me! It was scary the first time when it started crapping out at 65, this time I never had the chance to get up to speed.

The only thing I can figure is that I just didn't tighten the bolt on the battery lead enough when I put the battery back in for the Spring. A month of vibrations rattled it loose enough to cause some connection issues.

·
10,756 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out. I will check the leads on mine this weekend, just in case. You may want to check the screw driver in your tool bag. When I got my bike I tried out all the tools to see if I could use them to do a roadside repair such as yours. The combination screwdriver handle is very poor and shattered in my hand when trying to take out a screw. I had to replace it with a new REAL screwdriver. Just a word to the wise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts