Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have two questions I guess.

1. Anyone ever loose anything from their pant's pockets while riding. During short trips I dont mind having stuff in my pant's pockets, but when I go to work and I have my bag, I always throw everything in there. Just wanted to see if my worry is warranted.

2. This is the second time this has happened, not really sure if it's the same rider, definite possibility. Both times he got on the freeway infront of me and did a forward sweeping arm motion, downward, like toward the pavement to the front of his bike. I've never seen it and thought it may be he was inviting me to ride next to him, but since he was a major bad *ss on a big bike with ape hangers and I'm not so bad *ss on my tiny 250, I just hung behind. Just seeing if anyone has ever seen this and make sure I'm not being rude if I happen to see him again.

Thanks for any answers:71baldboy:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I always ride with stuff in zippered pockets in my jacket. Never did lose anything from a jeans pocket, but I still had that fear.

As for the other rider, I believe he's just waving at you. Was he pointing down at the ground with two fingers, by any chance?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
he's telling you that you can pass him.
if he looks in his mirror and sees you sitting back there - he thinks you wanna go past. but it's courtesy to allow the rider ahead to signal when that's appropriate. so that's what he's doing.

i have never had anything fall out of my pants.
but I ride a big cruiser and keep everything in a wallet chained to my belt.

dT

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always ride with stuff in zippered pockets in my jacket. Never did lose anything from a jeans pocket, but I still had that fear.

As for the other rider, I believe he's just waving at you. Was he pointing down at the ground with two fingers, by any chance?
Nope. And I was behind him, so I think that would be unsafe. Think it's more what dT said

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he's telling you that you can pass him.
if he looks in his mirror and sees you sitting back there - he thinks you wanna go past. but it's courtesy to allow the rider ahead to signal when that's appropriate. so that's what he's doing.

i have never had anything fall out of my pants.
but I ride a big cruiser and keep everything in a wallet chained to my belt.

dT
That's what I thought it might be when I saw it the first time, but there's no way I would want to on the 250. I hope he got that I was just trying to be polite

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
" and keep everything in a wallet chained to my belt."

^^^:thumbsup:

And I also agree it sounds like the other fellow was telling you it was okay to pass. Even badd-azzes can be polite.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Randy (hubby) used to have packs of cigarettes blow out of his shirt pocket from time to time... but the guys have answered your arm movement question.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Zipper pockets seems like the right thing to have! I don't think I want to put anything of value in a pocket without a zipper haha.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I've never had anything fall out of my jeans.

Also, motorcycle jeans have deeper pockets to help avoid things falling out.

Another thing, for motorcycle jackets, ... I have one really good jacket (it said something about how stuff won't fall out of the deep pockets even if unzipped -- and it's true and I took it for granted. I bought another jacket (mesh type) and I didn't zip and guess what? stuff falls out. Now I zip all the time.

Deep (literally) pockets make a difference.

I carry two things in my pants that matter most -- wallet and phone. Every 1/2 or so, I pat my pants to ensure they're still there. If there's any doubt they might fall out, they go in my tank bag or somewhere else I can keep an eye on them.

Dennis

·
Registered
413 Posts
Agree with dennis. My olympia jacket has really deep pockets. There's pretty much no way any thing can fall out due to the design. My motorcycle specific overpants have zippers on the pockets, and my motorcycle jeans have deeper pockets than the average jeans so stuff doesn't fall out.

I've never lost anything though while wearing regular jeans. But my seating position is more upright, so its not as easy for things to come out vs if I was more laid back in a cruiser.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have never had anything fall out my jeans pockets, but sitting on a cruiser I'm in a different position than on a sport bike. I carry anything I need handy in my zippered jacket pockets.

The other rider was waving you by... I just did that last night. I was in the carpool lane, another bike gradually crept up behind me and stayed there, keeping a reasonable distance, but saw he was initially going faster than I was, so I waved him by, and stayed to the right of the lane, so he can pass me on the left.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
used to carry a backpack, but stuff in pockets stays put cause the way i ride my legs kinda pinch my pockets shut. :)

i dont make a point to carry to much when i ride anyway

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,816 Posts
back in the 60's I lost my wallet out of my back pocket. It was a payday Friday night. I was depressed. My buddy was riding his bike with me and I discovered I lost my wallet when we went to get gas. he paid.

When I got home my wallet was already there, seems a guy in a cage saw it come out of my pocket at a stop light. Tried to get my attention but we took off. He drove the 70 miles to the address on my driver's license and left it with my parents.

Nothing was taken and he didn't leave his name or any information.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Found a guy's wallet on top of a gas pump once. Happened to know him so I had some fun. I called his wife & told her I had it and that he left it at my house. When he got home she was full of questions for him. He called & hubby & I took it over to his house. Explained to his wife I was just funnin. I really didn't much care for her...he was a lot of fun though. After that she wasn't so snooty to me. He thought it was funny too.

·
Very Famous Person
9,840 Posts
--

I imagine the rider ahead of you was motioning that the stock market was leveling off and headed for a dive soon. So if you came by, he would judo chop you and grab your wallet unless you had it anchored with a chain.

That's why I have a chain on my wallet, just like Eye. I mean, I really hate when that happens.

--

1 - 15 of 15 Posts