Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm a 5'8", 130lb girl and I'm looking to buy my first bike. I haven't learned how to ride one yet, and neither do I have any experience driving a car, so I would be learning completely from scratch and then purchasing this bike.
I've done some research and found a lot of information on starter bikes like the honda rebel and the suzuki gz250, but everything I find on these bikes says they aren't good for long term in terms of power and functionality. I'm pretty young and don't have much money, so this bike would be something I'd ideally be saving up for and keeping for quite a few years. I want a cruiser, something that's really good for urban driving but can also handle medium stretches on the highway, and that I can keep for a few years and won't have to trade up. And, of course, I would like to keep the price as low as possible. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Since you are tall for a woman, you will not have any trouble flat footing the basic cruisers. There really is n ot a bad one when you look at teh major manufacturers. Honda and star have 250's in the cruiser. I think suzuki has a single cylinder cruiser that is 500 or 600 cc's (I am just blanking on it right now).
All of thise bikes are fine (in fact very good) for longterm functionallity. Not sure why someone says otherwise.

Great for learning. Not great if you plan to ride on busy highways. Its not difficult to organize your travel to avoid a busy highway, but if you eventully want to do some longer riding with friends, you will want to upgrade somewhat. But, that may be a while down the road. If you purchase a used bike and take good care of it, you will be able to resell at a decent price when you want to upgrade.

Good luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would suggest one of the Johnny Pag models. I haven't riden one yet myself but with the research I have done on them, they seem to be quality bikes and good for novice riders. They also look cool if your into that style. The price is just right as well. I am going for the Johnny Pag Pro Street myself. I'm pretty sure there are other cruiser models although Johnny is known for his choppers.

·
V4 Rider
68 Posts
Hi all,
I'm a 5'8", 130lb girl and I'm looking to buy my first bike. I haven't learned how to ride one yet, and neither do I have any experience driving a car, so I would be learning completely from scratch and then purchasing this bike.
I've done some research and found a lot of information on starter bikes like the honda rebel and the suzuki gz250, but everything I find on these bikes says they aren't good for long term in terms of power and functionality. I'm pretty young and don't have much money, so this bike would be something I'd ideally be saving up for and keeping for quite a few years. I want a cruiser, something that's really good for urban driving but can also handle medium stretches on the highway, and that I can keep for a few years and won't have to trade up. And, of course, I would like to keep the price as low as possible. Any advice?
Most of the time, if you're buying a used 250 from any of the major manufacturers, you can turn around and sell it for what you bought it for as long as it's pretty much in the same condition. Losing your investment in a 250 isn't too much of a worry, as long as you're not buying new.

However, if you take the MSF course and don't have much trouble with their bikes, a cruiser in the 600-800cc range is not out of the question and will definitely be a bike you can keep around for a while. Go sit on some bikes, some fit better than others for different people.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
VStar 650.....go toss a leg over one and see what you think. Decent motor but not insane power.....plenty enough for long term but I dont think it'd be to much for a beginner.

Vulcan 500 - probably even better than the 650 but not as plentiful on the used market, but that could be a regional thing - might be different in your area.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You may also want to look at the Honda Shadows, a 750 would do everything you mentioned you would use it for. Of course, this is dependent on how you do with the 250's in the basic rider course. If you have trouble, you might want to start on a 250, then move up. Like previously stated, the smaller bikes are easier to resell to another beginner rider.
Fit is also very important, once you have decided on the size of bike you want, sit on as many different models as you can to see which is the most comfortable to you.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
My wife is your height but weighs a bit more. She really liked the new Bolt when we went to the dealer this past Saturday.

·
Registered
301 Posts
First off, I would highly recommend taking the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) Basic course in your area. If you do well there, I would then recommend a Honda Shadow 750, or the Yamaha V-Star 650 would be good for your needs. They are great starter bikes for a gal your size and are also stable and big enough for highway/freeway travels and will last a long time with care. But go to dealerships and sit on several cruisers in that size range and see what feels good for you.

There are a lot of these used bikes in that range for sale because they are great starter bikes and eventually people want something a little bigger, but they also make great keepers because they are reliable, comfortable, easy to maneuver, and are still large enough to meet the demands of long term highway use.

·
Registered
79 Posts
First off, I would highly recommend taking the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) Basic course in your area. If you do well there, I would then recommend a Honda Shadow 750, or the Yamaha V-Star 650 would be good for your needs. They are great starter bikes for a gal your size and are also stable and big enough for highway/freeway travels and will last a long time with care. But go to dealerships and sit on several cruisers in that size range and see what feels good for you.

There are a lot of these used bikes in that range for sale because they are great starter bikes and eventually people want something a little bigger, but they also make great keepers because they are reliable, comfortable, easy to maneuver, and are still large enough to meet the demands of long term highway use.
I totally agree with this. The Yamaha is a great looking bike. (I like the pipes better than the Honda). I might look into this bike as well. Sure is plentiful and at a good price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry, for my bluntness ... but, a terrible idea !! I agree with Day Walke, he suggested a Honda Shadow 750, much better choice ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts