Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How fussy should I be? I looked at it and it IS showing some darker color to the filter, but it is not by any means fully clogged or anything.

Yeah, I could be neurotic about it, and buy a new filter every year I suppose.

What's YOUR limit on running the same filter?

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I can't imagine you ever being neurotic about anything. But...

I put K&N filters on all my bikes. I check them when I change the oil and if they look dirty I'll wash 'em out and re-oil 'em. So far my limit on running the same filter has been about 150,000 miles. Roughly.

Keep in mind though that on your bike the bottom of the filter is always going to look a little dingy as that's where the air / oil mist that doesn't get separated has a tendency to show. It's not a big deal.

·
Nightfly
4,414 Posts
I also use K&N filters on every vehicle I have ever owned. The filter itself will last over 100K but for my bike I keep an extra one already oiled and ready to install with every oil change.

Have to agree with you Eye, never thought Soupy could be neurotic about anything either. Grin...

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
K&N, or Uni foam with oil. Take a look at what dirt bike riders' filters look like when they pull them (usually foam + oil, and an amazing amount of dirt on the outside of the media!)... It went a long way towards relaxing my concerns. I prefer foam + oil, or K&N (cotton fabric with oil), as opposed to paper, period. A good seal is critical, no matter what type of material is used. Cheers!

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Neurotic......that's me (lol)

Oil???? What the heck!!!! Since when? I've never in my LIFE put "oil" on an air filter!!!???

-soupy

·
8,603 Posts
Don't put oil on a Stock OEM Harley air filter unless it came that way or only if your used Harley came with a K&N or one of the oil saturated types.

Buy a K&N cleaning kit that has a solution that you spray on the filter, let it soak good and then rinse it out in the sink. When it's good and dry, the kit has a special RED oil that you spray on the clean filter.

On a dry filter, I just usually use air pressure to 'blow' out the dirt and dust from the inside. A soft paint brush helps get the dirt off of the outside also.

I'd only do this maybe every 20-25,000 miles if all you ride is the street and aren't on dirt roads.

I love that the filter is so easy to replace on a Harley twin!

Sam:biggrin:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
this post disappeared so I posted it again.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
I have a spare set of K&N filter(s) for every vehicle I own. I just put a new one on the Springer. Once a year I pull the old filter off, clean it with air and a brush, then put it in water to soak. I then pull the spare off the shell and put it on.

Take the one that is soaking out, give a good brushing, spray it from the inside out with air and hang it to dry. After it is dry I look it over and if it is clean I spray it with a light coat of oil and hang it up again. A day or so later I put it back in its box and put the box back on the shelf until next time

·
Ace Tuner
2,936 Posts
Neurotic......that's me (lol)

Oil???? What the heck!!!! Since when? I've never in my LIFE put "oil" on an air filter!!!???

-soupy
The standard paper type filters are NOT to be oiled.
They can get a little dark and still be good to go. Hold em up to the light, can't see very much light, pitch it.

For a foam filter use a foam filter oil. (I like Uni-Filter oil, it looks/feels like the oil Yam, Hon, Kaw and Suzy puts on their foam filters).
For a K&N filter use K&N oil, not an oil made for foam filters.

Be careful with compressed air as so not to damage the filter with too much force.

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
K&N.

Wash, rinse, oil, repeat....

Usually about every 10,000 miles or so anyhow.

They claim to be a lifetime filter, and claim good for a million miles.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
My air filter probably has more dust on it from one trip out and back in on my gravel roads than most see after a year on theirs. I think everyone has covered the filter part for you soupy so this is to just show you that you have no need to worry.

My new mechanic even said that and with him it was just one trip out. That filter still just gets cleaned at oil change only. Gets a little blown off as I blow the dust off everything else after a ride but that's it.

They do there job and I've never had any air filter related problems. So don't fret it.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
I always stick a drop light inside of paper filters, to gauge how dirty they are.
If it's dirty pitch the paper filter in the trash, blowing them out with compressed air is not good for them and kills their filtering ability, especially from the inside.
If you do put a K&N or like filter on, don't over-oil, and do make sure you give it plenty of time to dry, after you clean it.

·
Nightfly
4,414 Posts
Absolutely agree ODE. Everything I've ever read says never use compressed air on a paper filter, it cannot be cleaned, only ruin their filtering ability. I never blow dry K&N filters either, it can ruin the gauze used in the filter. I clean the extra ones immediately after coming off the bike, let them air dry, then spray with a light coat of oil, place in plastic bag till needed at the next filter change. As ODE said, very easy to over oil those filters.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
We saw a lot of MAF sensors polluted from over oiled K&N filters when I was a mechanic. I don't know if over oiling can cause an issue on a bike?

Soupy, give it a few light taps and stick it back in there, sounds like it'll be fine for a while yet.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
Yeah, an over oiled K&N will make em run RICH.
I think using a air/fuel controller would be better but I wonder how many over oil just for that reason. Never even crossed my mind but good point.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
It probably depends on the EFI system, Hog. Some are more complex then others and generally speaking the newer it is the more capable it is. For example, the newer HD systems with the wider band oxygen sensors will easily compensate for a restriction such as an over-oiled filter. An older system, such as the Magneti Marelli from 20 years ago, couldn't.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Soupy
Why dont you post a close up pic of the filter??
Ed
The link in my previous post was a fairly good pic. Best I could do with this smartphone. Sorry if it wasn't adequate.

-soupy

1 - 20 of 110 Posts