Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to buy my first Harley. The local deal has a nice selection of year models and touring bikes. I've rode a Softail before but from what I've read, the touring frame is more comfortable in a long ride.
I'm looking at the Road Glide, Street Glide and Electra Glide made between 2012 and 2015. The frame mount fairing on the Road Glide doesn't bother me as all my Goldwings had frame mounted fairings.
Is there a year model I should avoid? How many miles is too many miles?
When it comes to Harleys, I'm a total noob. From what I've read online, the three bikes I listed above have all I want, and more. But I haven't ruled out a Road King of a radio isn't too hard to add.
What questions should I be asking?
Thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe I should have said looking for advice, instead of opinions. Opinions are like, uh, well everyone has one.

I reckon I should have added I'm 6'2" and about 230 pounds. (Too much of it fat!)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,658 Posts
Our real Harley expert is gone and that is a long story in it's self. I will try and help. You are correct the touring frame is a better long distance rider most will say. All three of your choices will fit your needs. The Road King's difference is the way the fairing is mounted. I do not know about the radio, but they are a good ride as well. Our former expert rides one across country every year.

Reactions: cmonSTART

·
Registered
501 Posts
If I remember correctly, Standing Tall did a youtube video comparing the Road Glide and the Electra Glide. It is some where on this forum, as well as the youtube website.

Both are great motorcycles. So is the Road King. Of the three, out on the road here in northern Alabama, I see Electra Glides most often.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
If I remember correctly, Standing Tall did a youtube video comparing the Road Glide and the Electra Glide. It is some where on this forum, as well as the youtube website.

Both are great motorcycles. So is the Road King. Of the three, out on the road here in northern Alabama, I see Electra Glides most often.
Ask and ye shall receive! Traveling Tall compared Street Glide to Road Glide. :)

https://youtu.be/KgtWsQ2n7XE

Reactions: GatorJoe and BWB75

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
There is a noticeable difference in handling between the frame mount faired Road Glide and handlebar/fork mount faired Electra Glide bikes when dealing with crosswinds. But I always felt the fairing on the Road Glide looked cheap or unfinished. I prefer the frame mount but that doesn't keep me from getting a handlebar/fork mount. Get the one that rides the best for you, not us. In regards to bikes in the 12 to 15 year range, I would get either the 12 or the 15. The 12 because it was before they went to the wet head engine and the 15 because most of the problems were fixed by then. the 13 and 14 years had a lot of confusion about what and how to fix some of those wet head problems. At least that's what I got out of it just reading. They all have the improved frame. That happened in 09. I think there was a engine size change somewhere but I'm just not up on Harleys enough to comment. A Stage 1 2012 would be a great bike for a good price in my book.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,925 Posts
Wanting to buy my first Harley. The local deal has a nice selection of year models and touring bikes. I've rode a Softail before but from what I've read, the touring frame is more comfortable in a long ride.
I'm looking at the Road Glide, Street Glide and Electra Glide made between 2012 and 2015. The frame mount fairing on the Road Glide doesn't bother me as all my Goldwings had frame mounted fairings.
When it comes to Harleys, I'm a total noob. From what I've read online, the three bikes I listed above have all I want, and more. But I haven't ruled out a Road King of a radio isn't too hard to add.
Will Start by saying check them all out basically you are talking the Same Frame and Engine all Tourers, just different ways how it's set up .. Myself I like the Road Glide after it was redesigned for 2015 Up as the controls don't seem so far away which gave me a bit of an awkward feeling .. Looks Wise I think the Road King rules with it's Classic Looks but prefer the Road Glide Fixed Frame Fairing over the Street Glide or Electra Glide Batwing Fork Mounted Fairings but we are all different there why I say Test .. Your Money , Your Call ..

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the advice. I did look up the YouTube video, turns out it was one I had watched while trying to figure out what's best for me, but I watched it again anyway. Also read all the comments.
I didn't know anything about the wet head issues.
Since they all have the same engine and transmission, I'll just see what "fits" me. I'll try to avoid the '13 - '14 year models.

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
No need to go out of your way and purposely avoid those years, just ask the right questions when looking at one. Chances are very good every recall or service bulletin has been done on them but I am amazed at the number of people that don't get them done. I have a buddy in my town that hasn't had a single recall done on his Indian and some of them are major issues. But they might ruin his bike is the reason he won't. It runs great so why risk it. Pretty lame but he has plenty of company and brand has nothing to do with it. I got a Honda VTX once and the first thing I did was have a dealer run the VIN. Found a couple recalls had not been done. I'm simply amazed people are like that.

·
Premium Member
10,051 Posts
You're doing about the most fun thing on the planet - enjoy making the decision!
And I will second that.
I wheeled into the Suzuki store on my SV650. Said to Frank, this thing is real sweet, do they make one with a bit more giddy up.
And that is how I got my SV1000 with a bit more giddy up.

Another thread talks about going to a bike show, and sitting on all the bikes. Also a good way to spend the day. I have ducks disease, so many of them are way to tall for me.

UK

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I paid off my current bike yesterday. I didn't want to have what I owe on my bike, financed in with whatever another bike is going to cost me. So now I need to save a bit more, and being on a fixed income sorta - kinda sucks.

But getting older also teaches patience. But it's sure fun to look and think and dream about a new(er) cycle!

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,925 Posts
Well, I paid off my current bike yesterday. I didn't want to have what I owe on my bike, financed in with whatever another bike is going to cost me. So now I need to save a bit more, and being on a fixed income sorta - kinda sucks.

But getting older also teaches patience. But it's sure fun to look and think and dream about a new(er) cycle!

Understand this completely being retired 14 Years .. Unless my 2017 Indian Chieftain becomes a Money Pit , don't think will be any more New Ones for this old man .. Both of mine are paid for and have more money into both of them than anywhere near what they are worth ..

Attachments

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,658 Posts
Both of mine are paid for as well. I look, I sit, I make vroom-vroom sounds. Then I look at the price tag. Suddenly the bike isn't as attractive as it was before.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Of my last 4 or 5 bikes, the one I have now is the only one I financed. It was just easier, (well not always easy), to save the cash. And dealing with individuals, cash speaks very loud.
There is a strong attraction to your own bike when it's paid for too.

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
Understand this completely being retired 14 Years .. Unless my 2017 Indian Chieftain becomes a Money Pit , don't think will be any more New Ones for this old man .. Both of mine are paid for and have more money into both of them than anywhere near what they are worth ..
We tend to do that don't we. We can't take it with us except on this side of the dirt so why not. I still have to justify farkles but it's fun anyway.

·
Registered
319 Posts
1. Harley has bike issues that a 100+ year bike manufacturer should NOT have.

2. If you plan "long rides", as in a 1000 miles, I would not ride a Harley...they are pretty to look at, but they're just too unreliable...I know, I know, the next post will be the guy that road his Harley 100,000 miles, didn't change the oil or plugs, and didn't have any issues...yeah, I hear ya, but HEAR THIS, as a WHOLE, Harley's are just too unreliable for long trips.

3. "How many miles is too many miles?" -- 1 mile is too many if the engine doesn't have any oil...what I'm saying is that it all depends on the maintenance during those miles.
A> Buying used from a dealer, assume poor maintenance and pay accordingly..people trade in bikes to get rid of problems.
B> Buying from the owner, ask about oil and oil changes...blank look in their eyes...assume poor maintenance.

4. I own a 2014 with a 103...I would not a buy a bike with a newer engine...too many problems. An M8 owner I know had to have the bike trailered back to the dealer on the day he picked it up...and again a few months later a mile from his home...ride that thing a 1000 miles...lol...NO WAY!

5. Ride a Suzuki Boulevard M90...half the price of the Harley, and a much better machine...the M90 will be my next bike...it's a day cruiser...if you want to go really long distances, Goldwings simply cannot be beat.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've read a lot about the problems HD has had. People will complain. You have a friend that had problems on day one. I have a friend whose owned a Heritage Softail for years with no problems.
I've seen thousands of HD's at Bikes, Blues and BBQ, from all over the country, for years. Sure, some break down. With that number it would kind of be expected, not knowing the maintenance history and all.
Goldwing are great touring bikes, I've owned three of them. Sometimes the heart wants what it wants though.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts