Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Hentz here.

Posting to help get some suggestions on my first bike. Here's a little about me:
I live in Las Vegas, Nevada as I commute 26 miles a day on average to work. I've always ridden dirtbikes and quads so 2 wheels isn't new to me..

Got to ride my chef's bike today; a 2006 Honda VTX1300. Wow what a beautiful bike. This was the first "motorcycle" I've ever ridden. Rode it just fine, felt comfortable within the first two turns lol. Just rode around the neighborhood a bit.

My biggest toss up is getting a sports bike or a cruiser. I'd commonly commute to work/school or other things I'm doing along with cruises with friends around town or up to the mountains. I love the look and sound of a sports bike. I'm not a crazy speeder so I wouldn't be doing 100+ nor would I be doing wheelies or anything like that. Sat on multiple cruisers and fell in love with the CBR650F and Yamaha Stryker.

I'm just to tossed what do get. This has probably been asked 5,000 times and I know there is a search button, but I'd like your opinions on my personal situation! Thanks guys

·
8,574 Posts
You are the only one that knows what will work best for you, depending on the type and distance you plan on riding.

We owners on this forum have all kinds of bikes, from new to old cruisers, big touring bikes, adventure bikes, Standards, Supersports, dualsports, 1 through 6 cylinders, air cooled and water cooled---on and on. Then there is the 3 wheel crowd also, 2 in front or 2 in back:biggrin:

If you live in Vegas, most of the real cool rides are far out of town so you might want to consider COMFORT and gas tank size.

Both of the bikes you mentioned should be good picks.

Insurance rates can vary widely between high performance sportbikes, even small ones and generic cruisers.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would think the dual sport bikes would work well for you
Be great for getting around the busy city streets to get to work, then a cruise out to the lake after work for a ride off road.

Then pick up another bike later, could be the cruiser or the sport ... or both.

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
IMO, more important than type of bike is the riding position. You don't want to reach your destination with an ache in your back, or stiffness in your knees. Sit on them in riding position for a few minutes, feeling how your joints will be positioned; maybe take a block to put under the side stand to make the bike sit nearly upright. Then feel how it will be when you put your foot down at a long stoplight; do you have to strain to hold it up while reaching for the clutch?

·
Registered
217 Posts
A "standard" would be a good compromise between a sport bike and a cruiser. The ergos are upright and your feet are under you, not forward or rearward. This works best for commuting. Why not go to the Intl Moto Show and sit on everything? Ducati Scrambler, Honda CB500f, Yamaha FZ-07, KTM 690 Duke all come to mind. Commuting on a sport bike will crane your neck. The heads up riding position of a standard is just the ticket.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Agreed! I love standards, I use one to commute and for leisure riding and short trips (up to about 200 miles each way). I ride a SFV650 which is a standard bike. With other types of bikes, you can usually identify them by appearance - NOT SO with standards! Standards are identified by their handlebars which allow an upright riding position, and by footpegs directly below the rider which allow you to stand up while riding (if you so choose, not necessarily recommended!).

I would add the Suzuki SFV650 and Honda NC700X to the list of standards you might want to check out.

A "standard" would be a good compromise between a sport bike and a cruiser. The ergos are upright and your feet are under you, not forward or rearward. This works best for commuting. Why not go to the Intl Moto Show and sit on everything? Ducati Scrambler, Honda CB500f, Yamaha FZ-07, KTM 690 Duke all come to mind. Commuting on a sport bike will crane your neck. The heads up riding position of a standard is just the ticket.

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
Another vote for standards as a commuter bike. I love my old 450 for commuting, especially since I lowered it about 3/4" so my feet are flat when stopped. It's just not great for long distances, as compared to my other bikes.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sounds a great feeling for the first ride, you definitely know what you want, especially for comfort. Start with a BRC and you will get good tips there too!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate all the feedback guys!

So I fell in love with a bike.. While I had the Yamaha Stryker approved for finance and all, I just wasn't too happy with the numbers.

Walking around I found a 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 650R. It's an awesome orange color for less than half of what the Stryker would be. I think ultimately I want a sports bike with the upright position, which is what the 650R has. Watching a ton of videos and doing research on it, I see people are commuting and even doing 3-4 hour road trips with this bike, comfortably. The more I research this bike, the more I realize it's for me. I'm going to shoot an offer and hope they bite.

·
8,574 Posts
It's a great bike and gets good reviews:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So.... I went to the dealership to check out that Ninja 650r.. This was either my "yes" or "no" answer to it. So I sat on it, inspected it, did a cold start then walked away to look at gear and to dwindle on the bike. Finally the guy came over, showed me some numbers and I didn't look back. My buddy rode it home since I don't have my license yet. I've been driving it around the neighborhood. Within 2 laps I was quite comfortable, luckily I've ridden dirtbikes for a long time.

All in all, I didn't want to get off. Its such a fun feeling, so comfortable and sexy looking. Sound could be better, but who cares. It's a perfect fit for me!

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts
I've only ridden two bikes I felt like I didn't want to get off of until yesterday. A BMW K100LT and a Harley Electra Glide Ultra. Two different bikes. But a Indian Roadmaster hit the list now. I actually fit it better than the other two for some reason. I haven't put my finger on just why but it's fact. Something I'll have to try to deal with.:D

·
8,574 Posts
Comfort is Paramount to me and the following bikes were the best I owned: Harley Electra Glide, BMW K1200 LTC, Honda Valkyrie Interstate and 2 Goldwings and nothing comes close:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
In your situation I would be looking at a Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe. They no longer make them but they are great bikes. I owned a 2007 model for 5 years and would still own it if I didn't insist on a good long distance 2-up bike.

Some basic features are the low CG, extreme comfort, high feeling of power, easy maneuvering and easy reach to the ground.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I will recommend you to go for the Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, That is really good and suitable for you. Hope you will enjoy it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts