Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding dirt bikes, fourwheelers etc. my whole life. Now that I am of age I want to get a crotch rocket. I am about 5 ft.4. Currently I am riding a Honda crf150rb. The seat height on that is 35 inches. I was looking at the Honda cbr250r. However the only problem that I have with this bike is that I want my bike to be obnoxious (loud). I have always liked loud dirt bikes over the ones where you can not tell if they are on or not. But since my options are pretty limited with my height I may just want to find a nice exhaust and throw that on. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
Loud

Having ducks disease will limit your options. Sit on a bunch of bikes. The seat height kept me away from all the ADV bikes. I am 5" 6 1/2"
Loud on a dirt bike just gives you bad press everywhere. On a long cross country race through the jungle, it can eventually make your head pound. Which leads to a lack of concentration, and crashes.
On the street you make no friends. You may be heard, but just like the ambulance siren you here while driving a cage, you do not know where it is. And bikes are louder leaving rather than coming at you. It is the coming at you that is critical.
The new KTM 390 looks like a neat bike to me. If you are financially challenged there are lots of good old 400 and 450 cc bikes.
I have an 83 XS400 Seca.
Do not be put off by a difference of opinion. It happens all the time.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that having the loudest bike is usually not a good thing but I just want something that is like the kx ninja 600.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
A cbr250 with an aftermarket pipe (if that's what you want/need) should be a great starter bike.
I have a custom V&H pipe on my Raider & do agree most factory pipes are just tooooo quiet. But I wanted a custom pipe that gave some performance advantage. IMO performance should come 1st, & "louder" should be just a bonus. Not the other way around ;)

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
Seat height

It is much easier to ride a dirt bike with a high seat. If you can not reach the floor with both feet you will encounter difficulties IMO. I can not set my heals down on any of my bikes, but as long as the forward part of both feet are on the ground I am okay. I know you only need one foot touching, or so it would seem. But often you need to switch feet, to clunk it in gear, and to hold the rear brake on. You could use the front brake, but that is not the best plan, especially with a smaller bike the needs more revs to get going on a steep hill.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,879 Posts
If you can ride on a 35 inch seat, you will have no problems on any sport bike.
Just what I was thinking if 5'4" must be all legs I am 5'8" and 30" is definitely my Limit although much more comfortable with 26"-28"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts