Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking for help/suggestions on what I could use for protective ribbing for the sides of my saddlebags. I've reworked my 1976 Panhead bags to run small LED running and brake lights on the back of the bags and installed wiring channels in the bags that I fiberglassed in place and sprayed the insides with truck bed liner, looks really good. Now the bags are off to the paint shop to repair two cracks, a bunch of chips and gouges from 14 years of use since they were redone in 2000.

The bags had some stick on chrome trim all the way around the bags, here's a pic:

These were added simply to provide some protection to the paint from rubbing against the bags, be it an object or a person. I like the idea of this protection AND I also like the little extra bit of chrome on the bags, but I don't want it going all the way around, I only want it on the sides. Does anyone have any suggestions of some nice chrome stick-on ribs of some kind I could use for this?

I've looked all over eBay but so far nothing although this is close to what I have in mind:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6PC-UNIVERSAL-PILOT-AUTOMOTIVE-CHROME-FINISH-8-STICK-ON-AERO-TRIM-BARS-EMBLEM-/221528712609?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item339423e5a1&vxp=mtr

The problem with these is that they are only 8 inches long and I would like something 12" - 15" and these are quite high... about an inch high at the peak.

I also know there's stick-on trim in rolls like this in different widths:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-SELF-ADHESIVE-CHROME-AUTO-OR-TRUCK-TRIM-14-FT-2-1-4-Wide-/141420804266?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20ed5638aa&vxp=mtr

But the ends where you cut the size won't look finished.

Any ideas welcomed.

Thanks!
Dan

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Get some aluminum strip and you can cut it to the length you need. The ends can be filed down to the finished shape you want to match the bags. Then it can be attached with screws from the inside of the bag. Aluminum can be polished to a chrome like look, and will provide you with the same protection to the bags.

If you don't want to screw it to the bags, you could use industrial double stick tape or epoxy to secure it to the bags.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Have you looked at the bag protectors for the more recent vintage HD touring bikes? On the new bikes they sit maybe an inch from the bag surface and look very nice. I just don't know if they fit well enough to use them on your bike.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you looked at the bag protectors for the more recent vintage HD touring bikes? On the new bikes they sit maybe an inch from the bag surface and look very nice. I just don't know if they fit well enough to use them on your bike.
This was actually my first investigation and would have been my preferred option for sure. Unfortunately these are panhead bags and the stock mounts that have been modified to fit on to my v-star. The problem is that the matching rails have totally different mounting points than the bag supports, which of course don't exist on the v-star and would require a lot of customization to fit. The other issue is that I would have to relocate the tail lights to allow the bars to fit. You can see how close they are:

I'm ok with fixing up the bags because they look pretty battered, but I don't want to go too crazy on a bike I will likely be changing in 2016.

I also looked around for someone to custom make the rails and I could get them chromed, but the costs that came back were absurd, considering I can probably find some body moldings for $15.

Thanks,
Dan

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Chrome automotive trim? I would think you'd be able to find something you like at an auto parts store. It comes in a roll in various styles. Just cut to length and stick it where ya want it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I bought some chrome trim late last week to put on the lip of my v star gas tank. I found other chrome trim that didn't need a lip. I can send you a link if you want when I get home tonite.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chrome automotive trim? I would think you'd be able to find something you like at an auto parts store. It comes in a roll in various styles. Just cut to length and stick it where ya want it.
The problem is the end that is cut... it's not chromed. So basically I want to have 2 15" strips that are just on the side facing outward on the bags. So when I cut the trim, the edges will just be grey plastic and not chrome. If I can find something similar in 15" inch lengths (give or take a few inches), it will have both ends finished.

Thanks,
Dan

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
...So when I cut the trim, the edges will just be grey plastic and not chrome.
What I was thinking would be clear, but I understand what you mean. I think you can get shorter pieces also? Have to look I guess
I'm sure what you want is out there somewhere

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I was thinking would be clear, but I understand what you mean. I think you can get shorter pieces also? Have to look I guess
I'm sure what you want is out there somewhere
Yes I am sure there are pre-cut fully finished trims out there somewhere, just haven't been able to find something that would work yet.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I like this chrome trim. Easy to work with. And really adheres to the metal. Put some tape on until it sets overnite.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts