Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a sport bike. No preference just something good to learn on. Looking to spend $1000 give or take. Any suggestions or offers? Thanks

·
Registered
371 Posts
tough list

You are going to have a tough time finding a bike for that price in good shape! I paid close to that for a twenty year old Honda 250. But I sold it six months later for $50 more.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Sounds familiar. I bought my '95 Nighthawk last year for $900. Just for kicks I put it up on craigslist last Saturday for $1300obo and I have had several calls and tons of e-mails on the thing, one person has come by to see it and there are two more coming tomorrow.

Anyways @ the OP, as mentioned $1000 for a sports bike (no matter what age) is going to be tough to find one in good running condition. The closest you will get to that is around $1500 for a used Ninja 250. They are out there if you keep your eye open. In last couple of years I have checked my local craigslist pretty regularly and the only ones that have come closer are:

1991 Kawasaki Zephyr with 20K miles for $1200. I was sorely tempted to go and look at it but I know it is way too much bike for me. (553 inline 4)

1989 Honda Interceptor 250 with about 30K miles for $700. Although the carbs needed a good cleaning and possible re-sync

2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250 Racing Green with just shy of 17K miles for $1200. It had a minor drop and some scratches but was in good running condition. I am kicking myself for not jumping on this one (I wasn't really in a position to do it at the time though)

Other than that in 2 years of looking I haven't found anything that comes within $200 of your price range. Obviously it all depends on what is available in your area and what the market is like for pricing (some areas are more expensive than othes).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i do understand my budget it pretty low ... but gotta work with what you got for now

I have found a '98 Ninja 250, before say price what would be a good price? Has about 17k miles, the right handle bar is broken (prob needs to be replaced), and was told starts up and runs no problem. just lookin for some help

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
You can get a decent Honda CM400 for around $800-$1K. Great little bikes if you don't have good eyesight. Paint the tank and customize the seat and you got an OK cafe racer wannabe. In general, they're fairly bullet-proof and fun.

·
Registered
988 Posts
i do understand my budget it pretty low ... but gotta work with what you got for now

I have found a '98 Ninja 250, before say price what would be a good price? Has about 17k miles, the right handle bar is broken (prob needs to be replaced), and was told starts up and runs no problem. just lookin for some help
If everything else checks out okay I would say around $800.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i started out on a honda 250 interpector because im 5'4 .. im on my tip toes at a light but its not as heavy as a 600.. i love mine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts