Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

looking into getting my first bike.

I've already completed the MSF course and passed, so I have my license.

I'm not into the sport bikes or doing anything stupid.

Really just looking to have a bike for the fun of being on the road and will most likely only use it during spring, summer and early fall months.

I know for sport bikes everybody suggests being under 600cc for their first, but since I'm not looking into sportbikes, I'm not sure if that standard changes at all.

I happen to like the look of the below bike and was hoping you guys could point me towards some options that are similar to this look but of course safe enough for a first bike

Thanks!

http://www.thunderbike.de/galleries/tb_galleries/wrinkled_bob.php

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Nice Mcl....real nice bike. Just remember what you learned in the BRC and become a bobble-head. Keep that head moving to see what's in front, back and beside you. Stay confident but don't get over-confident. Enjoy the ride.

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
Can you wait to get your dream bike and start with a 250 or 300 learner bike first? Or do you want that bike and that's it? You can make just about any bike look like that. But I'd suggest to take a little time putting to practice what you just learned on something smaller before you go to the Harley. Keep that your dream bike to get to after you've made all the rookie mistakes on a learner bike.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
+1.
hogcowboy has it right. This is not going to be your only bike, it will be your first bike. If you go with a smaller displacement / light weight bike you will learn faster and master many skills before you try to take on a heavy bike. Heavy really sucks unless you have developed the skills to handle it. A light bike can be very forgiving when, not if, you make mistakes. When you can run that lighter bike thorough any obstacles with extreme confidence is soon enough to start considering a heavy bike like I ride. I have been riding for over 45 years and just in the last 5 years started to ride a bike that weighs over 500 pounds. Even for someone with my experience that step up was difficult to do.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
The OP did state that he was looking for a bike similar to the one he posted,

I happen to like the look of the below bike and was hoping you guys could point me towards some options that are similar to this look but of course safe enough for a first bike
Yamaha Bolt fits the style, although that is possibly a big too big for a starter.

There is also the option of buying an older, smaller displacement bike and doing some of your own customizing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I'm not looking to get THAT bike.

I know that bike is too much for me.

I just like the looks of it and was hoping to get some options thrown my way on bikes that I would be able to handle at my level and that looks similar to that.

Hogcowboy - you said that you could make just about any bike look like that... What would that entail?

Maybe I get a crappy bike and made a couple of modifications to get it to look like that?

Thanks

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
I started on a 1200 Sportster. If you have common sense you'll be fine on a little larger bike. And you won't out grow it and be looking to spend even more money in the near future to buy a larger bike. The Star/Yamaha Bolt and the Harley Davidson Sportster lines have bikes similar to what you like for style. And they are reasonably priced in the used market. Visit both of their websites and explore the photo galleries. Other options would include buying a smaller cruiser bike and modifying it yourself to get the look you're after.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
For slightly less then the Bolt you could buy an 883 Sportster. For a little more you could buy a 1200 Sportster. Why buy a knock-off when you can buy the real thing?:)

For what you're doing though, if you don't want to start out investing in the Harley you showed as a first bike, consider something a little smaller and less expensive such as a used Honda Shadow or Kawasaki Vulcan. There's not as much after market support as for a Harley, but there's enough that if you're clever and creative you should be able to achieve the look you want without a major investment. You also won't feel as bad if you drop that bike while learning then if you invested in a new bike and dropped it.

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
Yea I'm not looking to get THAT bike.

I know that bike is too much for me.

I just like the looks of it and was hoping to get some options thrown my way on bikes that I would be able to handle at my level and that looks similar to that.

Hogcowboy - you said that you could make just about any bike look like that... What would that entail?

Maybe I get a crappy bike and made a couple of modifications to get it to look like that?

Thanks
You just get the bike you want and go to work. Blacking out what you want, bob the tail, add a solo seat and change the bars. Hardest part sometimes is getting paint to stick on chrome but it can be done. I'd still recommend any small displacement bike first to learn on but as you can see, some think there's nothing wrong with larger. Problem with that is you only here about those that succeeded. You never hear about those that panicked and went splat which is more common.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You just get the bike you want and go to work. Blacking out what you want, bob the tail, add a solo seat and change the bars. Hardest part sometimes is getting paint to stick on chrome but it can be done. I'd still recommend any small displacement bike first to learn on but as you can see, some think there's nothing wrong with larger. Problem with that is you only here about those that succeeded. You never hear about those that panicked and went splat which is more common.
any tips on the getting paint to stick to chrome thing?

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Back up a minute.............that bike that you linked to, can potentially be a problem child.

Being "Visible" (as you probably learned in the MSF Course) is a HUGE issue on bikes. THAT particular bike you linked to would be virtually INVISIBLE at night, (save for the headlamp) and moderately "invisible" during the day.

I'd go for as much ACTUAL chrome and lights and reflectors as I could find. Make every effort to decrease your chances of being run over by someone who says the most common words, "I didn't see him/her!!"

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
any tips on the getting paint to stick to chrome thing?

Sandpaper or sandblasting if you have it is the only way I've seen success and even that is questionable on some chrome plating as it can still fleck off later if you don't get it off to start with. All depends on the quality there. But a good sanding to rough the surface will get a surface for paint to bond to. Generally. I've never actually done it cause I like chrome but those that have say it is work. Something some do is this Plasti-Dip process. I have no idea what that entails. Something tells me you still need a surface to bond to though.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Back up a minute.............that bike that you linked to, can potentially be a problem child.

Being "Visible" (as you probably learned in the MSF Course) is a HUGE issue on bikes. THAT particular bike you linked to would be virtually INVISIBLE at night, (save for the headlamp) and moderately "invisible" during the day.

I'd go for as much ACTUAL chrome and lights and reflectors as I could find. Make every effort to decrease your chances of being run over by someone who says the most common words, "I didn't see him/her!!"

-Soupy
But that's the look you want, not what he's looking for.

·
Subversive
416 Posts
How much do you want to spend?

If you want a Harley I'd say get one...

If you prefer to wait and start with a small cruiser then it depends on your budget... There are several cruiser type bikes that are not too pricy.. both new and older...

You might consider taking a ride on a few of these bikes and see how they feel to you... THAT is going to be a major factor in how much you get out of your ride and how well you track the learning curve... Riding IMO is about fun and being safe while having fun...so go find out what fits you and have some fun riding ....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts