Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Motorbike Macgyver
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to mount a rack to my seat, that can hold a small cargo bag that will hold a lunch bag and a few tools and other small items. My bike is home built, as some of you may know, and my seat is fairly small, 15" long and about 7" wide. I could wear a backpack, but I wear a vest with a reflective patch and the backpack would cover the patch if I have to ride at night and I also find wearing a backpack uncomfortable. So I'm asking if anyone has any suggestions of a small rack that could bolt to my seat (no problem drilling holes) and hold a small cargo bag. If the bag and rack come together, great. If not I can find a bag.

·
Motorbike Macgyver
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will see if I can find a cargo net that will suit for now, and probably have a bag that will fit under it. I also saw some sweet saddle bags on a moped site that I can mount over my seat, they aren't really cheap so will have to wait till I can afford to pick them up but the cargo net will do for now.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Check out bicycle racks and bags. I've got a fairly sturdy bicycle luggage rack that clamps to the seat stem and an Advent bike bag that secures to the rack. The bag has lots of zippered compartments and a surprising amount of room.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Do you have the ability to add a rack with long supports that go down to the axle on each side for the back and tie into the seat neck in front or frame? Old bicycles used such a rack for passengers. Something like this although not exactly what I remember. But I think you get the idea. Would probably have to make it but isn't that just what you've been doing?

EDIT: Here's the kind I was thinking of.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Hog, that is pretty much what I was thinking about. Mine attaches only to the seat stem, but they are also available with brace arms going to the axle nuts which would add a lot of support.

This is pretty much what I have...

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
Crafting something should be easy enough, and if you wanna go the inexpensive route, fabbing it all yourself, Home Depot is your best buddy!

If you could show me pics (high res, closer up shots) focused on the area where it will be located on your bike, it would be quite helpful in coming up with ideas.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Hog, that is pretty much what I was thinking about. Mine attaches only to the seat stem, but they are also available with brace arms going to the axle nuts which would add a lot of support.

This is pretty much what I have...

I wasn't sure he could carry a 30 pac of beer with that.

·
Motorbike Macgyver
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do not have much room for a seatpost mounted rack. My seat is pretty low, anf i dont want to raise it because the kind of seat it is would not look right raised high. Its actually a moped seat, it kinda looks like a cafe seat but much smaller.The kind of rack I was thinking of is like I have seen on some motorcycles, the rack sits at a 90° angle to the ground, and the bag is mounted as if it were a backpack strapped to the persons back. Wasn't sure if they made any that fit a small seat like mine. However, these are all good suggestions. I thought about making a rack out of some flat bar stock I have, but I was afraid it might not come out looking very nice. I wasn't sure about saddle bags before because I didn't know if any could just go right over the seat, but like I said I did find a pair that can and I'll get a link up in a sec. Cargo net should work for now. Thanks guys!

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Are you thinking of a sissy bar?

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
I'm not sure, always thought a sissy bar was a seat support like for banana seats and whatnot.
That's the only thing I can think of that would be 90º to the ground.

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

A sissy bar is a backrest for the passenger. It's bolted to the rear fender. I have a wooden platform that's about 18" wide and 12" deep that I place on the passenger seat and use Velcro straps to hold it in place against the sissy bar and down to the fender braces. It's flat and has 1" ridges so stuff won't slide sideways. I use it to haul bags. It's easy to remove without any damage to the bike.

--

·
Motorbike Macgyver
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A sissy bar is definitely what I'm thinking of, I have seen cargo bags made for sissy bars. And I have seen pictures via Google image search, of sissy bars mounted to mopeds, but no links or info on where to buy one specifically for a moped or scooter. I'll keep checking. Thanks guys.

·
Motorbike Macgyver
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have some flat bar stock, I could easily build a sissy bar if I wanted, and possibly even add a back rest if I wanted. Then I could just strap a cargo bag to the sissy bar. I might do that till I can afford saddle bags, then remove the sissy bar.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I will see if I can find a cargo net that will suit for now, and probably have a bag that will fit under it. I also saw some sweet saddle bags on a moped site that I can mount over my seat, they aren't really cheap so will have to wait till I can afford to pick them up but the cargo net will do for now.
Got some cheap saddlebags from Walmart on-line. They are removable but functional. Outside sipper pockets, fairly deep, reflective and have rain covers (bright yellow). Something like $80.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts