Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-
I'm new to riding and am looking for some advice on what to buy. I am sure that there are several threads here that cover each of the questions I have, but I am looking for an opinion that can address all of my concerns together.
I need a low maintenance everyday rider that is capable of cross country. In addition, I would need a bike that is not only affordable, but also comfortable/appropriate for someone of my size- 6'-6"/280Lbs.
Cruiser is the style of bike I prefer, but I am open to all/any advice.
Thanks in advance for your time.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Hello & welcome to the Forum. Are you looking to buy new or used? Where ya from? What kind of riding will you mainly be doing? etc., etc.

There are several larger guys here on the Forum and they ride all kinds of bikes, from Victories, Harleys, Goldwings, Kawasakis, Yamahas, Suzukis, Hondas, BMWs, etc. It all depends on what you like. My suggestion is go sit on as many bikes as you can to find one that feels right to you. My hubby is 6' 5", weighs 290 and rides a Victory Vision. The other guys will hopefully chime in here on who rides what.

Have you taken the BRC or do you plan on taking it? Good Luck to you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your quick advice, and also for the kind welcome. I would like to buy used to try and save money, I am currently in the Southeast US, but will be traveling to the West Coast. This bike would become my everyday form of transportation. I would need something that could accommodate a little storage and is reliable. I am glad to hear that I am among people who can relate to being a larger rider. I like the way a Kawasaki Vulcan looks on paper and reality- would you say that would fit my needs? I have not taken the BRC, but plan to before going cross-country.
Once again, thanks for your time/advice.
All the best...

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts

Funny you should mention that...above is a picture of my husband sitting behind our 2005 Nomad. We traded it in on a 2010 Victory Vision. However, the Nomad fit him well and we rode from just south of St. Louis to Myrtle Beach to north Georgia back to the Smokies then home on 1 trip on it (the picture shows him on our way home after 14 days). We also rode up around Lake Michigan & all over the Upper Peninsula. It was comfy for both of us and with the trunk & yellow bag you see in the pic we were able to carry enough for both of us on a 2 week trip...as long as we did laundry every 4th day. It was also great for local riding. The only reason we traded was we found we were taking too many long trips, we are getting older, retired and want to ride even more and just wanted more of a touring bike (flying couch) as some guys call them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, sounds like a Nomad is a great choice- I even like the way it looks! Thanks so much for the recommendation- this is exactly the kind information I was hoping for. Do you think the $1500-$2000 range is unrealistic for what I am looking for? Also, how much day to day experience riding do you recommend before attempting a cross-country ride? I am new, but not completely green. Also, would you say a windscreen is a must for a comfortable cross-country trip?
I really appreciate your help, thanks again.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Yes, I personally like a windshield. That is the 1st thing we put in my bike when I got it. It won't come off as long as I have the bike. The wind will beat you up if you are on a long trip. And, if it starts raining on you it is really a godsend.

Price... you might try Kelly Blue Book or just look on Craigslist. I would also check around at dealers...lots of used bikes out there.

Experience...we bought this bike in March 2005 and took weekend trips on the holiday weekends. It really depends on how fast you learn...and how fast you build up stamina. If you are riding 400 to 600 miles per day for 2 or more days it will wear you down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a windshield is a must. Concerning the rain, do you do anything special to protect your bike, like a tarp or cover? Also, is it easier for a heavier bike to ride in the rain? And is that a 3rd seat on your Nomad?

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
No, that is a trunk that we added. It is mounted on a luggage rack.

We do carry a small tarp but that is in case we have no where to hide from hail, or if for some reason we need to lay on the ground & look under the bike and for what ever else it would come in handy for. :) :)

You will find that if you take enough trips you will get rained on. We just put rain gear on & keep riding unless it's hailing or gets REALLY bad--Hard rain & lightening type stuff. We used to carry a bike cover, but the problem with them is you have to wait for the pipes to cool to put it on, & they take up too much room. And if you've been riding in the rain the bike is already wet and grimy and if it continues to rain it will wash some of that off. We have ridden in rain, pulled in & spent the night at a motel & left in the rain again the next day. At most motels, if you ask, they will have used towels & will let you use them to wipe the bike down. Do get a good windshield polish to carry, along with a rag, to wipe the bugs off the windshield and sometimes your helmet.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Hopefully Mudflap or Kaz will pop in here tomorrow. They both ride Vulcans. They may have more things to tell you about them. There are other bikes you might want t look at also. I just happened to have some 1st hand experience with the Vulcan.

Do take the class as soon as you can. You say you are not completely green but the class really helped me gain some great basics to build my riding experience on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will definitely listen to your advice, thanks again. I think the Nomad and Vulcan bikes are great options. I really like being able to sit back while riding, and the Bobbers and Cruisers seem to be the right choice for what I am looking for. Bobbers seems like they would not be good long distance or daily riders though, so I keep coming back to the Cruisers. Touring bikes look great, but seem like they will be a little out of my price range. I also love very basic, simple looking bikes. Any suggestions? So I think I will get the bike, take the class, then get a tarp! :)
Please keep the awesome real world advice coming, I know it is going to come in handy!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I will do that for sure. I have already tried a few, including the ones that I mentioned. They all felt pretty good, but the Vulcan was the best (I think)...

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
I don't have any experience with the others but some of the guys here have. Hopefully they'll chime in here.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Look for anything that is shaft drive. Pretty much maintenance free. Take into consideration, 99% of people drop their first bike. So dont invest into something expensive. My first bike was a Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom. Great bike and wish i would have kept it. Inexpensive too.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Get a bike that you feel comfortable with as a starter bike. The worst thing is to get onto something too big, then your afraid to ride. the M50 I think is an 800. Make sure that you feel you have control of the bike. I dont want to sway people on different brands, but Yamaha recently came out with a new VStar 950. The reason I go Yamaha, is because I have experienced it seems to be the best bang for the buck. But that is all opinion though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts