Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I'm looking into getting a 50cc motorcycle because my car was just totaled and insurance isn't going to give me enough to pay off my car and get another. I've driven dirt bikes before and thought that maybe going for a motorcycle would be a good way to get another vehicle a lot cheaper than trying to take out financing on a car. I looked into it and found out I don't even have to get a new driver's license endorsement to drive a motorcycle if it's 50cc or under. So I'm looking for any advice for getting one, my only real concern is the fact that I'm 6'2" and 295 Ibs so I'm trying to find a 50cc motorcycle that is able to support a heavier weight. It's only really going to be a commuting vehicle. go from work and home. my work is all on backroads and I don't need something that goes fast. 30-40 MPH is the most I'll have to drive at.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
For anything with that small an engine you are better off looking at small scooters. My daughter uses a Buddy 49cc scooter for commuting in the warmer weather, but she only has to go about 2 miles each way, on city streets, and weighs about 120 pounds. I don't think you will find a 49cc vehicle that will be able to carry your weight at 40 mph. You might be better off looking for a used 250cc cycle, get some practice, then test for your motorcycle endorsement. That would mean taking a chance during the period between getting the bike and getting the license, but that might not be the worst compromise. Good luck.

·
8,052 Posts
WillowDay, welcome to a great forum but please take the time to comply with this introduction request:

Lots of MFG's make 49cc scooters specifically to get past licensing restrictions that apply to 50cc scooters/ bikes and larger.

I had a new 2002 Yamaha Zuma as fun little scoot for my Son, who was 15 1/2 to learn on and to take his DMV riding test on and I even rode it on my 10 mile commute to work, on Rural roads and I enjoyed it a lot cruising along at 40 mph and getting 100 mpg. Mine was licensed with a plate, I at the time weighed 350 lbs and I'm 6ft-5in of extremely solid Chicken Fried steak, Table muscle and the scoot did just fine.:ROFLMAO:

Look in 'Craigslist' in your area or GOOGLE 'Street legal 49-50cc scooters for sale.'

STAY AWAY from Chinese or Indian JUNK if you can.:poop:

I have had MANY scooters and still have a Suzuki Burgman 650,

SAM 😁

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Interesting that you were able to cruise at 40. My daughter's 49cc scoot can just about hit 40 on level ground, and with her much lower weight. Even at a top speed of 40, and even in city traffic which tends to be slower, that can still be inadequate to keep up with traffic around you. If my commute were on mostly empty rural roads I would not worry about it but even in the small city where I live, I find that I need to maintain 45 to 50 on roads posted at 30 mph just to stay with traffic, but my PCX150 has no trouble with getting to those speeds.

·
8,052 Posts
BY 'cruise,' I meant 'held wide open,' like you have to do on most of the smaller Scoots.

I live in the country and all except the last mile or so of my 10 mile commute are quaint and peaceful 2 lane roads rolling gently past Farms and fields of grain so a small scooter is just Dandy @ 35 to 40 mph. I rode my Goldwing, Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster, CTX1300D, DL650 and my Honda Africa Twin Rally Sports at around 50 mph, even with all their Horsepower, so one adapts.

Sam:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WillowDay, welcome to a great forum but please take the time to comply with this introduction request:

Lots of MFG's make 49cc scooters specifically to get past licensing restrictions that apply to 50cc scooters/ bikes and larger.

I had a new 2002 Yamaha Zuma as fun little scoot for my Son, who was 15 1/2 to learn on and to take his DMV riding test on and I even rode it on my 10 mile commute to work, on Rural roads and I enjoyed it a lot cruising along at 40 mph and getting 100 mpg. Mine was licensed with a plate, I at the time weighed 350 lbs and I'm 6ft-5in of extremely solid Chicken Fried steak, Table muscle and the scoot did just fine.:ROFLMAO:

Look in 'Craigslist' in your area or GOOGLE 'Street legal 49-50cc scooters for sale.'

STAY AWAY from Chinese or Indian JUNK if you can.:poop:

I have had MANY scooters and still have a Suzuki Burgman 650,

SAM 😁
Thanks for the info! also made and introduction post, didn't see the request when I signed up!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For anything with that small an engine you are better off looking at small scooters. My daughter uses a Buddy 49cc scooter for commuting in the warmer weather, but she only has to go about 2 miles each way, on city streets, and weighs about 120 pounds. I don't think you will find a 49cc vehicle that will be able to carry your weight at 40 mph. You might be better off looking for a used 250cc cycle, get some practice, then test for your motorcycle endorsement. That would mean taking a chance during the period between getting the bike and getting the license, but that might not be the worst compromise. Good luck.
Thanks for the info! I'm gonna look into scooters as well, I'd only really be driving on roads with a speed limit of 35 MPH about a mile to 2 miles each way. I've been walking to work and hoping for something cheap and easy for that purpose.

·
Visionary
4,088 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'm gonna look into scooters as well, I'd only really be driving on roads with a speed limit of 35 MPH about a mile to 2 miles each way. I've been walking to work and hoping for something cheap and easy for that purpose.
The little scooter should work fine for that, though to be honest, for 2 miles a bicycle will get the job done pretty well too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts