Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
9.8 foot minimum turning radius.

An expert rider should have no problem passing the motorcycle test on that, a new rider won't even know what a full lock turn is.
Yes they would. It's the action taken immediately prior to the bike falling on the ground.

·
Registered
2003 Suzuki Intruder 1400
322 Posts
Really anything 50 HP and under is generally fine for a beginner. The vast majority of the bikes discussed in this thread fit that.

Once you have that in mind just find one that "fits" and you'll be alright.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I ended up buying a 2008 Suzuki Boulevard C50. I won't have to take the test on it as the bikes for that are supplied by the MSF course.

I took it out and I feel comfortable on the bike it doesn't feel like I am cramped up or anything. Now I just need to figure out the coordination of shifting. Stalling two or three times at every stop sign is not a good thing but for the first time out riding a motorcycle I felt I did pretty good. I mean I didn't drop it or anything and actually rode it instead of duck walking it around soo....all in all I call it a successful first ride.

I want to thank everyone who posted advice and information it was helpful.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,115 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!

·
Registered
2003 Suzuki Intruder 1400
322 Posts
C50 is a great bike!
The stalling gets better. One tip is to don't worry about slipping the clutch 2-3x as much as a car. MOST bikes (C50 included) have a WET clutch. You can technically wear it out, but it puts up with a lot more abuse than a car will -- especially while you're learning. Just bring the revs up a bit, and find that "friction zone".

·
Registered
88 Posts
Make sure that there is only 2mm to 3mm of play at the clutch lever. Too much play and you lose the feel of the take up of the clutch. Also, in an emergency stop you only need to move the lever a little to disengage the clutch.

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
666 Posts
I ended up buying a 2008 Suzuki Boulevard C50. I won't have to take the test on it as the bikes for that are supplied by the MSF course.

I took it out and I feel comfortable on the bike it doesn't feel like I am cramped up or anything. Now I just need to figure out the coordination of shifting. Stalling two or three times at every stop sign is not a good thing but for the first time out riding a motorcycle I felt I did pretty good. I mean I didn't drop it or anything and actually rode it instead of duck walking it around soo....all in all I call it a successful first ride.

I want to thank everyone who posted advice and information it was helpful. View attachment 68257
Congrats!(y)(y)(y) In your class you'll learn the techniques needed to start out without stalling, as well as LOTS of other good stuff!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Trying to work out the stalling before the course lol. Just need to find a parking lot near by that I can ride to without making alot of other drivers mad because practicing on the street around my neighborhood there are stop signs at every corner managed to get to 2nd without stalling but then had to brake kind of hard and ended up stalling at the stop sign anyway

·
Zip
2,054 Posts
You can practice the clutch friction zone right in your driveway, and I'd strongly encourage you to do that. You should be able to find videos and/or written instructions online. Once you get that down pat stalling will soon become a very rare occurrence.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,880 Posts
Here is a quick and easy way to learn the friction zone so you don't stall everytime you start up. Put your front tire up against a curb at 90 degrees. Put the bike in 1st and work the clutch and throttle trying to climb the curb. As the tire starts to climb let off and do it again. Do this over and over until you can do it several time in a row without stalling. Then go out and ride and see how much easier it is to start up and go.

Nice bike by the way.

Reactions: hogcowboy

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,726 Posts
Or just use a short 2x4 board if your driveway doesn't have a curb.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts