Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am 6'2" and about 260 lbs. so not the biggest guy out there but still big. I see a lot of recommendations for 250cc bikes for first riders but all of these bikes that I have seen look kind of small. I sat on one at a dealership and I really felt kind of cramped up if you know what I mean. Like my knees were higher than my elbows almost. Now this dealership didn't have a lot of bikes in stock, only about 12 it so, so there wasn't a huge variety to check out. Now eventually I plan to ride cruiser style bikes because those have always been the ones that caught my attention and spoke to me. Don't get me wrong sport bikes are cool too and if I somehow managed to own multiple bikes at a time I am sure I will get one but the cruiser style is the one that really calls to me. Now that being said I understand cruisers are heavy and somewhat unwieldy machine and therefore not great to be out there trying to work out fundamentals and practice riding on. I don't really like the look or feel of dual sport bikes so I would like to avoid those. All of this has led me to what have seen refered to as a street bike. I have no idea what these are. From the description I have seen they have the ergonomics that cross between cruiser and dual sport but I have not really seen any reference to models of this type of bike. My primary riding for developing will be commuting to and from work and just riding to practice, so no touring or long trips or anything like that. Now with all of that random information can anyone recommend a good street bike that won't feel tiny? Is this even a real style of bike or is it just a different name for another style that someone was using in their articles or whatever it was that I read it in?

On side note I sat on a Honda Shadow 750cc and my wife started telling me she didn't realize how small the bike was until I sat on it but it didn't feel tiny like the 250cc bike did though I don't even know what style the 250 was.. anyway enough rambling and thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
When a 250, or smaller, bike is recommended as a first bike, it's usually for a teenager of about 5'10" and 140 lbs. soaking wet. I am the same height as you but maybe 40 or 50 lbs. lighter, (I've been sick.)

I understand how a 250 feels...small. While I was reading your post, I started thinking something like a 750 Shadow might be a good fit for you to start out on. You didn't state your age but I get the feeling you're not a teenager anymore. So you probably have a little more self control than a teenager on a 1000 Ninja might have.

You said you like the cruiser style, so I would also say have a look at the 900 Kawasaki Vulcan. I haven't rode one but I have talked to some owners of the bike and they liked them. I'm sure you'll get a lot a recommendations shortly. Good Luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Vulcan 900 is actually a bike I was looking at as well as the Shadow 750. Just wasn't sure about the cruiser to start off on because I keep hearing about how they don't handle well and that you really feel the weight of it during low speed maneuvering which is a pain for beginners any way.

As far as the teen ager thing, I am 46 so yeah got most of the stupid out of my system, maybe not all of it but I control what's left fairly well.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
You're going to have to find the bikes you're interested in and sit on them. Some will just feel right while others will just feel a bit...odd. Have you got a friend that rides? Friends might try to steer you towards a bike or brand you're not interested in, but they should be able to tell you if a bike is in a rideable condition. They can also keep their eyes open for that deal on a bike you'd love to have.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
You're going to have to find the bikes you're interested in and sit on them. Some will just feel right while others will just feel a bit...odd.
This! How about something like the CB650R or MT-07?

FWIW, I've been riding a few years and really, REALLY love sport bikes. I have, however, come to realize that my "late" start in riding has left my most flexible and fearless years behind and I'm not comfortable after a couple hours on my current bike. As much as I am loathe to, I've started considering other options because I want to enjoy how the bike feels more than how it looks. That being said, I have zero interest in cruisers... :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Maxpressure520

·
Registered
471 Posts
Get a cheap used FZ6. Or like others suggested, the 650s and other relatively low power larger displacement bikes will work. I'd focus more on making sure the riding position and brakes are both ideal for you. IMO, those make way more difference in keeping you safe than the HP does. Buy a motorcycle that turns, swerves, and panic stops well.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
900 custom comes with forward controls, used 883c and 1200c sportster, 1200 has power to get away from you if not careful

The 900 is an excellent bike, and it handles just fine......and the thing no one thinks about, the maintenance schedule is 7500 miles, Suzuki is 3500, Yamaha 4000(with a big service every 16000), Harley 5000

After your around bikes you'll see Kawasaki and Suzuki have some built-in cheap, they will do you just fine if you take care of them.........just like any brand you need to do your maintenance

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
It's called a Standard.

... when pegs and bars are in a very standard riding position, nothing is extravagant, no fairings or foot boards, no crazy power or high performance features.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the input. The riding position of the sport type vs the cruiser type is one of the reasons I am leaning toward cruiser. I just don't think my body would let lay out on a sport bike for any length of time without a bit of pain.

Thanks also for the clarification of the standard. I have been reading so many articles and posts and watching YouTube and all that I may be getting information overload. Just kind of obsessed right now. Been wanting to do this for a long, long time and now that the opportunity is available I want to get it done now.

As far as the HP goes I am not really looking at the bikes for HP or anything it just seems like the higher displacement bikes are also a tad larger.

So far the only bikes I have see in person, of those listed, are the Shadow 750 and a Vulcan 900. Hopefully on my next days off work I can make the 90 minute drive out to a different dealership and see a broader selection.

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,701 Posts
Really, who cares what you look like on a bike. It's about learning the controls and reading traffic for your survival on 2 wheels. What you want is a bike that won't get away from you regardless of how mmany cc's it has. You'll think a 250 will get away at first. If you got a dirt riding area get a dirt bike and learn to ride it first before you get a bigger bike and hit the streets. You'll be better prepared than most then. But don't worry about what you look like. You have plenty of time to look cool later. The suggestion for smaller cc bike is about panic. When you get too much throttle and panic keeping too much throttle. It hurts less if you don't have enough time to stop. That doesn't look cool either so just keep that in mind. Do you want to be able to pick yourself up and try again or let others carrying you to the undertaker. Yes, panic can kill. That's not aimed at just you but any new rider. There are a few here that have admitted they got too big a bike to start with. Those are the lucky ones. We generally don't hear from those that went splat. Your first bike shouldn't be your last. It has been for far too many.

Reactions: Ride365

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I have been reading so many articles and posts and watching YouTube and all that I may be getting information overload. Just kind of obsessed right now. Been wanting to do this for a long, long time and now that the opportunity is available I want to get it done now.
Yeah, paralysis by analysis! It can get overwhelming as it is a lot to take in all at once!

You have waited this long, though, so being patient a bit longer is only going to help in the long run. (y)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Don't get a 250. That's what I trained on at the DMV and admittedly anything bigger felt HUGE but many on this site told me to go in the 650-900 cc range because I'd outgrow the 250 quickly and regret it. Thankfully I listened.

My first one was a 2006 Suzuki M50 Boulevard 805cc and it's perfect. I've owned it about a year and decided to sell it because I stepped up and will miss it.

I'd stay in the above listed range, find one that feels right and get it. Take it slow and you'll learn and adapt to the bike.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
No matter what you buy you have to balance it to ride it.
Some bikes balance a lot easier then others, large displacement cruiser bikes are built for cruising. Riding slow is not cruising hence Cruisers handle like a duck out of water at low speed. That's why green riders duck walk them so much.

... you can't get your M license by duck walking around the pylons and u-turns.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was actually just looking at a Boulevard C50 they seem like nice bikes

I am definitely going to stay upwards of the 750 range. I see alot of Honda Shadow 750s and Kawasaki Vulcan 900s out there so will probably end up with one of them or that Boulevard C50 maybe.

·
Registered
2020 Tracer 900GT
143 Posts
Suzuki V-Strom 650, yeah that 650 will dust most high CC cruisers no problem....and there is a wonderful peg lowering kit that can make you even more comfy if desired. The aftermarket goodies available are some of the best out there, and they are also some of the most beloved and reliable bikes available "I've owned 3".

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Suzuki V-Strom 650 -> What's the minimum turning radius, 8.9 feet or something different?

Amazing how many people post in a forum, what is the turning radius of the exact motorcycle they own :LOL: why not just push the thing around in a circle at full lock and measure the track it leaves? Owners post the V-Stom has a big turning radius and magazine writers praise how tight the thing turns, but give no turning radius numbers to substantiate it.

There is already one rider on this site having to deal with a motorcycle that he can't do a M test on because it turns like a boat and he's been riding for years. Your First ever motorcycle better be able to physically enable you to perform the tests or you won't be getting an M license to ride it. Choose wisely (y) you don't need a big bike as your first bike.

·
Registered
2020 Tracer 900GT
143 Posts
Suzuki V-Strom 650 -> What's the minimum turning radius, 8.9 feet or something different?

Amazing how many people post in a forum, what is the turning radius of the exact motorcycle they own :LOL: why not just push the thing around in a circle at full lock and measure the track it leaves? Owners post the V-Stom has a big turning radius and magazine writers praise how tight the thing turns, but give no turning radius numbers to substantiate it.

There is already one rider on this site having to deal with a motorcycle that he can't do a M test on because it turns like a boat and he's been riding for years. Your First ever motorcycle better be able to physically enable you to perform the tests or you won't be getting an M license to ride it. Choose wisely (y) you don't need a big bike as your first bike.
Go ride one and let me know, considering I've owned 3 and can tell you they turn/handle/perform better than most out there. :) Done a fair amount of off pavement on them as well, they are extremely capable and flexible bikes, as are most the ADV category of bikes.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Go ride one and let me know, considering I've owned 3 and can tell you they turn/handle/perform better than most out there. :) Done a fair amount of off pavement on them as well, they are extremely capable and flexible bikes, as are most the ADV category of bikes.
A friend has an SV I could try, at least I think he still has it, he insists it is his wife's motorcycle. But I'm pretty sure she has no M license or even interest in riding it.

So I take it we still don't know the minimum turning radius of one. I'm thinking it cuts an 18 foot circle which is the same as my K100RS and that is not great. How big is the box they want you to u-turn in?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts