Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a high mileage 05 636, it has 30k on it. Seller says it runs great with no issues, it looks to be in decent condition and the price is fair. My main concern is I have seen a lot of people complaining about transmission issues with this bike, mainly problems with 2nd gear. I'm definitely going to ask to test ride it, so what should I look out for? Will it be obvious if there is an issue? Like it just popping out of gear under acceleration? Any other advice would be helpful. I will go over the many things to check when looking at any motorcycle, mostly just looking for common issues to look out for on this specific bike. Thanks.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
I wonder if you could box him in a little to see if he knows there is a problem and that's why he is selling it, by asking him if he would sign a statement that the bike does not exhibit the know transmission problem and to his knowledge is in good working order. It might make him nervous enough to disclose that info if that's in deed why he is selling it. Litigation is something no one wants any part of. Just your knowledge that those problems exist might be enough that you can see the red flag. Add in litigation talk might help is all I'm suggesting. I don't know if it would work or not. I haven't bought a used bike in years but I do know this country is sue happy.

·
Registered
973 Posts
That might work, but it is a used bike and unless you can find a paper trail proving he is aware of an issue and doesn't disclose it under questioning, which is supported by a paper trail, it is buyer beware. He can make the simple statement, "as far as I know" and that takes him off the hook.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,120 Posts
You don't say a thing about your experience!!!!!

The Ninja 636 is A REAL SUPERBIKE for an experienced rider! In untrained hands it can kill ya in a heartbeat as much so as an open class Sportbike. Yes, I am my Brother's keeper.

At that mileage, the VALVES would have went through 2 scheduled checks and adjustment, a very expensive and time consuming venture. Have the seller PROVE that it was done.

2nd gear problems are a result of a lot of high RPM power shifting:)

By the way, just the name: NINJA will make your insurance much more expensive: Better check first:)

Welcome to the forum!

Sam:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ad says he would consider trades for an ADV bike, just talked to him this morning, says he is selling it because he's getting too old for it wants something more comfortable and practical. Nothing about the phone conversation worried me, he could form a complete sentence, I asked a ton of questions and he seemed to give me straight answers. He said he is the third owner bought it with around 12k. I'm going to meet him tomorrow. He says he has paperwork showing a valve adjustment done at 15k, as well as other service work done over the years. So that's a concern but if i decide the bike is worth it I'll have an adjustment done. Also said he's never had any tranny issues. I forgot to ask about the clutch, will tomorrow.

I already did an insurance quote, it's about $50 a month for minimum coverage, I can swing it. And yes I will consider better coverage, need to do a bit of research on that

I've been riding various things with two wheels and a motor as far back as I can remember. Im 25 and currently own an 03 Suzuki SV650 which I love, I am aware the 636 is significantly faster. But I'm at the point now where I would really like to experience a sport bike, might hate it who knows. I'm not a weave in and out of traffic at 130mph on the highway while running from the cops type of guy lol. I absolutely plan on respecting a bike a that can do 0-60 in 3 seconds and an 11 second quarter, I know that's not something to take lightly.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Sounds like you might have a square shooter. Hope it is what you want in the end and makes you smile. Good luck ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts