Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a few months now and for some reason the stock units for this bike seem to be way over priced! I can find trunks for Goldwings in great shape fairly cheap maybe $150-$350 however the Valkyrie one in bad shape could be twice the price. I want to install something that doesn't look like it doesn't belong I would like it to fit two full face helmets. I expect to repaint whatever I get so color isn't a concern. I'm not opposed to installing a Goldwing trunk but depending on the year it just doesn't look right on my 98' the Goldwing has a large seat the mates up to the truck and looks like it belongs but on my bike there would be a big empty void that would look silly!
I have looked at a ton of third party units like Givi but just don't know how they would look without pictures of it on my bike or type hoping someone here has some suggestions, everyone on the Valkyrie forum seems to think that $1000 is reasonable for a trunk. Considering I got the bike for free it is hard to justify spending that much on a trunk!

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
You must be referring to the new Valks because you can throw just about anything on the older ones and it looks okay. You might have to change the seat as well to get the look you want. But here's two photos showing how one case looks on both. Or at least it's a similar case.

Sorry about the size of the first one but I got zero control, it's just a link to
a Valk photo. But you can see the first the case looks like it's just hanging
there and in the second photo it is more blended in. The saddle and backrest help in the blending I think. That's why I think you'll have to change the saddle to make it look like it invites a passenger. Saddlebags help in the blending too. Don't ask what cases those are. I just looked for examples to see the difference in the new model Valks and old.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 98' 1500 older model and the first look is exactly what I'm trying to avoid the second picture is a stock trunk and what I would like to buy if I could find it at a reasonable price! I have a Tourer so I have the saddlebags however I need to find and replace the hinges so they will open correctly when I add the trunk. My stock bags need to be repainted so I figure it would be a good time to add the trunk and have it painted at the same time.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
So you wouldn't be interested in something like this...

or this...

Both found here.

I can assure you that you get what you pay for as an example here.

Reactions: GatorJoe

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not really what I'm looking for but hard to tell in those pictures I suspect it doesn't look like it belongs on the bike if you could see a side view.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Why not just get one from a used Goldwing? It will fit and blend in about as good as they get.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is what I will likely do however I need to know what gen or years would fit right the newer ones look nice on a Goldwing however then would not look good on my bike there is a huge difference in the rear seat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts