Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added Rivco floorboards to my 2013 Thunderbird, and while I can still, with difficulty, hook my boot on the side stand to pick it up, it is a pain and often takes me multiple attempts. I'm hoping someone can recommend a specific extension part that will fit on the Thunderbird side stand. I was looking online but so far have not found one that specifies it would fit my bike. Most of what I've seen are for Harley dressers or Honda Goldwings.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I found that as well online, but despite them saying it is "universal" I notice that they list specific bikes that it will fit. So far my search has not found anything else that looks promising, so I may give that one a try. Then I'll post how it went. I can't believe other folks don't find this a problem when using floorboards that make it harder to grab the side stand.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Vito, I'm a foot peg guy. When I get back in New Zealand I'll probably look at Goldwings rather than HD Ultras just because they have foot pegs for the rider.

Hope you find something that suits you and your bike.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I'm a foot peg guy too. Lol. Due to an old injury it hurts like heck to get my feet up and on floor boards. I used to not even be able to take an Ultra (or similar bike) out for a test ride after working on it without going into the shop bathroom afterwards and sweating bullets for about ten minutes.

So when I got the Roadking I had wanted for some time, I replaced the boards with pegs, and moved the whole control assembly forward just a little bit. Now I can ride the bike I wanted with as much comfort as I could hope for on any bike. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I must admit that sometimes I wonder about why I paid big bucks for floorboards rather than stay with the stock pegs. But I do find on long rides that the ability to move my foot to a different position does seem to help. I know that floorboards have been a boon for my wife as a passenger. If I can't find a decent solution to the side stand extension issue then I might just consider going back to the stock pegs.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,802 Posts
Take a piece of small rod or flat steel (stainless would be nice if you can find it), attach it with a hose clamp and bend as needed.

Pretty much all the Kuryakyn is except they use a u-bolt clamp.

It's kind of a redneck approach but will let you at least try it to see if an extender is the answer for you.

·
American Legion Rider
18,590 Posts
I would take yours off and take it to a machine shop or welder and have a stainless steel kick stand welded to your cut off stand where it doesn't show with the addition of the extra long foot hook you desire. Buffed up it will look as good as chrome if that is what you have. If you have a black one, then just weld the extension on and repaint. Second way will be cheap. First way will cost a little but you then have exactly what you desire. Don't know about you but I'm not taking my cash to the grave.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts