Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's it going guys?
So I've been tossing around the idea of getting a bike but I'm really not sure of what to get. I'm 19, about 5'6" and 120lbs. so i definitely need something a little smaller for my stature. I've ridden dirt bikes so I'm not completely ignorant when it comes to being on a bike, but i do know that being on the road is a very different kind of riding. I really like the cruiser style bikes and I want something that would be nice for all kinds of riding, whether it's a short ride to work or a poker run with some other riders or maybe a weekend trip to clear my mind. Also, I don't want to break the bank and I only want to spend around 3500 tops. I really like the Harley 883's but they're hard to find at that price. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum. First things first, sign up for the motorcycle safety foundation's Basic Riding Course. It will show you the techniques you will need to ride on the street.
At your size and your lack of street riding experience I would be looking at a twin cylinder standard with about 500 cc displacement or maybe a bit more. The 883 is getting to be a rather heavy bike. Weight and center of gravity will affect how easily you learn to ride on the street. The hardest change over in terms of controls, is the front brake. On the street it is your best friend but on the dirt I can dump a bike in seconds by braking it like a street bike.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Given your size and your expressed desires and price range, you can find very good deals on V-Star 650's and Shadow 750's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. After reading on here and doing a little research on bikes I think an S40 would be a good fit for me. Small enough to handle, enough power to be fun, and right in my price range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts