Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I owned a Goldwing back in 86 and liked it, sold it the next yr.
I've been away from bikes since then.
I want to get another Wing, I'm seeing plenty on craigslist around 2500-4000$.

Some have 50K miles, is this ok for mileage?
Anything to watch out for, any bad models to avoid?
I saw a Honda Silverwing Interstate - $1800 with 57K mi, looks like it has a smaller motor than the Goldwing.

I'm in the Boston area.
Cheers, Gerard

·
American Legion Rider
18,644 Posts
50k is nothing for a wing. What you want to be careful of is one that has sat for years. Then there are some specific items that wing riders can tell you about once you zoom in on a particular model/year.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You might find this site helpful:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/usedgoldwing.htm

I just sold our 1984 Interstate. I had it four years, really liked the bike. I bought the bike with 93K on the clock. BUT, the guy had the timing belts replaced the year before and also had the stator replaced.

Age will get these bikes before mileage.

I did/do all my own wrenching. IMO if you don't plan on doing it yourself, I would pass on the older bikes.

We put about 20K on ours, they are great machines, but require some TLC.

Goldwing Docs is also another great site.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the resources, I'll check em out right now.
I do all my own car wrenching ( old Volvo ).
I know what you mean about keeping up with old machine maintenance, my car is 25 yrs old, I paid $500 for it 9 yrs ago. Broken manifold studs, ball joints , water pumps, timing belts , it goes on and on. Old volvo parts are cheap.
As long as the parts aren't ridiculous expensive I'm game to try anything.

C

·
0 Posts
If you wanting a GoldWing I would not go under a 2001 model. Anything before that parts can be a little hard to find. As for mileage, I would say 40,000 or less. You can find them with that kind of mileage but you have to look for them. You're not going to get one (a nice one) between 2,500 - 4,000 though. However, if you like the older Wings, do your own wrenching like you said, then buying an older machine might be your best option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts