Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cutting right to the chase: I'm a new rider, I finished my MSF course and got my M class, and I'm looking for a bike.

I've already gone to a couple of dealerships and looked at new bikes (I figure "get something new, anything that breaks will be your fault and you'll fix it. Plus you build credit with financing") But that hasn't been going so well due to financial barriers.

So, I'm just wondering what you guys would recommend, new or used.

I live in Chicago and I like sports bikes. I've been looking at Kawasaki Ninjas primarily (only up to the 650, I'm not stupid enough to go for a liter bike as a firstie), but I find that the fuel tank is a little big right around where my legs hug it.

I'm also 6' 5", and most bikes I've tried on under 650 tend to make my knees flex too much.

The bike is primarily going to be used for daily commuting, but I do plan on doing some long-distance travel as well (weekend trips to nearby cities and states and such).

Any other questions, post them and I'll update the first post as necessary. Otherwise, I look forward to your guys' responses :D

·
American Legion Rider
18,974 Posts
I don't think many here would suggest a brand new bike for a newbi. Used so when you drop it you won't mind so much. And why take the hit on depreciation on a bike you may only have for a year. Remember, this won't be your last bike. Get a used, learn on it with mistakes in riding and repairs. Then buy that brand new bike in a year or 2. JMO

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
don't know how you are riding those sport bikes if you are 6-ft 5-in.
it doubt it will be comfortable. not even close.

if I was you - I would look for a street-legal dirt bike around 400 cc.
those are not cheap either, but they would be very handy for the city.
you are sitting higher on those bikes, so better visibility!!
also they are narrow and highly maneuverable.

this type of bike is great for city hops.
if that's your thing.
you could do longer rides, but it's not a long distance cruiser.

dT

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I am 6'3" and l ride an SV650. I agree with CrazyNinja though...an adventure bike would be a great starter for a tall guy. But go with the V-Strom, because Suzukis rule and Kawasakis drool ;)

DT also suggested a dual-purpose bike. I have heard great things about the Suzuki DR400. Yamaha (XT), Honda (XR)and Kawasaki (KLR) all make their version too. It would be hard to go wrong with any of them for a first bike.

And yes, l would buy used. Look at these two scenarios...

1) You buy a brand new Versys 650 for $9500 out the door. You ride it for 2 years, drop it once at low speed, and sell it for $5000 to upgrade to the bike you really want. Net loss= $4500

2) You buy a 2009 Versys 650 in good running condition with reasonable mileage for $4500. You ride it for 2 years, drop it once at low speed, and sell it for $3800 to upgrade. Net loss=$700.

In these two scenarios, you have two similar bikes to learn how to ride on. The differences between them will be negligible for a new rider. The main difference is that the money lost on bike #1 could have bought bike #2 outright.

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
Yep....new rider.....Buy a used bike first.
U'll be going threw a few be4 u decide what u really like for bikes...
If ur loosing 4 grand a bike buying new ones swapping around it adds up fast....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts