Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sometime this fall/early winter my plan is to buy a big comfy bike (i am 64 years old, 'nuff said) . the budget is around $2500 canadian ($2000 US). it looks like there's lots of very decent goldwings and maybe some yamahas/suzukis/kawasakis that are available in that price range (i am talking mid-80's here, and i do my own maintenance/repairs so not scared of older machines) and my thinking is that after the summer prices can only go down ( i am on the west coast of canada; nothing but rain from oct. - apr.. thus, only the hardest of hard-core ride their bikes in those months).

harleys are out due to price.

a 1988 bmw k100 just showed up on craigslist well within budget and it looks decent (everything looks decent in craigslist pics). i had never even considered a bmw because i have this pre-conceived notion that parts would be uber-expensive. am i correct ???

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey, fisken ... it does look like a clean machine. i am holding off on making a move right now because i have 1 scooter for sale, 1 scooter being brought back from the dead which i will put up for sale as soon as it's ready, and i have the cute little '73 kawasaki g3 which i SHOULD sell but it's so dang cute ! anyways, once i get rid of 2 of these 3 then i can start looking in earnest.

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
28,710 Posts
Parts aren't much different on BMW's than any other bike. Dealer repairs are though but you won't need them. Sometimes you have to buy before you are ready. The old snooze you lose thing. Nice clean bikes at the right price aren't an every day thing. Usually it's beaters or scams on Craigslist.

· Registered
5,675 Posts
hey, fisken ... it does look like a clean machine. i am holding off on making a move right now because i have 1 scooter for sale, 1 scooter being brought back from the dead which i will put up for sale as soon as it's ready, and i have the cute little '73 kawasaki g3 which i SHOULD sell but it's so dang cute ! anyways, once i get rid of 2 of these 3 then i can start looking in earnest.
Some things don't make sense to own but you just can't see letting go of them either. That's when you know to hang on to it!!!

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
thank you, everyone for the feedback.
the market here may be different from other places ... there seems to be a sufficient number of goldwings, yamaha venture royales, and even a couple of these k100's in excellent shape selling for well within my budget, especially goldwings, so my plan to wait until fall/winter is, i think, a good one. the most important consideration is comfort/vibration. i would like to be able to ride for an hour or more without my hands/wrists/shoulders/ass crying for a break.
so i guess my question really is "should i include the k100, and possibly other bikes that i haven't thought of, in my search ?"

as for keeping or selling the kawasaki g3 ... i get queasy when i think of someone else having her. on the other hand, when i get my first taste of a full-size i might quickly forget that skinny little thing.

· Registered
5,675 Posts
thank you, everyone for the feedback.
the market here may be different from other places ... there seems to be a sufficient number of goldwings, yamaha venture royales, and even a couple of these k100's in excellent shape selling for well within my budget, especially goldwings, so my plan to wait until fall/winter is, i think, a good one. the most important consideration is comfort/vibration. i would like to be able to ride for an hour or more without my hands/wrists/shoulders/ass crying for a break.
so i guess my question really is "should i include the k100, and possibly other bikes that i haven't thought of, in my search ?"

as for keeping or selling the kawasaki g3 ... i get queasy when i think of someone else having her. on the other hand, when i get my first taste of a full-size i might quickly forget that skinny little thing.
When l started looking for a bike again a couple months ago, I wasn't very open minded. I had owned close to ten bikes in the past, and all were Japanese. I had always wanted a KTM or a Husqvarna though (this is my dirt experience talking), so I was considering those as well. Never in a million years would I have thought that I would end up with a Triumph. When l finally opened my mind a whole new world opened up.

So yes, if you have the time to do some research, l would consider anything that falls into your price range. I also see lots of Magnas and Sabres in that price range. Either would be capable of cruising all day long

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.