Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a 50cc bike that doesn’t have the look of a traditional scooter and is re

sup my name is zuri and i need something to get around on i live in nc and i’m 16, i don’t like the look of most scooters i just want to know if there’s any 50cc street legal bikes that i could get that would look pretty cool. i was thinking about getting a taotao racer 50 since i would be able to ride it without a license and it looks pretty cool. any advice or suggestions on other other 50cc street legal bikes? i’ve never ridden anything before and this would be my first bike but later on i’m planning on upgrading to a grom.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
It's hard to get something that's in the 50cc range that doesn't look like a scooter. If it were me, I wouldn't go for the TaoTao Racer 50 as the proportions look all weird to me with that giant front wheel and tiny rear wheel. The NVH on them is also reportedly terrible as they seem to vibrate worse than my Buell Blast does (and that's a bike known for its ability to shake its mirrors into blurring everything).

If you have to go for a 50cc that looks like a sport bike, go for something like the Venom x18. Because it's Chinese, they go under like a billion different brand names, however they look even less like a "frankenscooter" than the TaoTao Racer 50.

There are also a couple Grom clones out there that come in 50cc.

I do need to warn that due to the aforementioned "billion brand names" thing, the quality of Chinese bikes may WIDELY vary. You may find something that feels, operates, and is reliable somewhat close to a big brand bike (like Honda) and you may find the same thing that feels like it was meant to be sold in a dollar store. Your mileage may vary. The good thing is that if you do get a dud, parts for these things are cheap and plentiful so long as you can turn a wrench or screwdriver.

With all this said, I highly recommend a Honda Ruckus. They're extremely popular among people who don't like normal scooters and the mods for these things get really wild!

Look at this bonkers thing!

·
Registered
71 Posts
if you are limiting yourself to 50cc i would suggest a 2 stroke. they are slow, but the 50cc 4 strokes are simply pathetically slow ... and this is coming from a guy who is NOT a speed freak.
taotao is one of the better chinese makes, sym and kymco are, i believe, taiwanese, and are a step up from taotao.
avoid the lower-end chinese makes. parts are unavailable and they are destined to be scrap metal/plastic within a couple of years after manufacture. don't be tempted by the price.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I actually live in NC too. What part are you from? Just recently moved up to a grom clone. I had the Jonway Rocket 50cc Chrome. Which is the blue bike guy posted up there ^^ Top speed stock downhill 48. Straight away 42.

·
1,251 Posts
Omg that's ridiculously adorable!

There's also the Aprilia RS 50. A friend of mine describes the performance as similar to a 150cc scooter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i’m trying to stay with a 50cc because i’m 16 and cant get my license yet due to some other things and here you don’t need a license to ride anything 50cc and under and i want something that’ll last for two maybe three years until i can get my license. how are the grom clones are they any good?

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
i’m trying to stay with a 50cc because i’m 16 and cant get my license yet due to some other things and here you don’t need a license to ride anything 50cc and under and i want something that’ll last for two maybe three years until i can get my license. how are the grom clones are they any good?
I see. So you don't even need a regular driver's license? Interesting.

I can't really help you on the Grom clones. I'm 6'3" and can't ride any of the smaller bikes. I do wish you luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The aprillia rs 50 in the state of North Carolina you still need a license. It has a clutch. Has to be auto in order to ride without a license and under 50cc. And that little bike he's showing you can fit in your hands. Don't think you want that lol The grom clones are just as good as the groms don't let anyone tell you otherwise. My buddy's at honda stripped an engine to see what was up and to their surprise everything was the same. Sure you'll have a loose bolt or two but locktight does the trick.
Back on subject. You want either a Jonway Rocket 50cc or a TaoTao Racer 50cc those are your two best options if you want something reliable and looks slick.

This is my grom clone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TFQvZJyWrjY&t=2s

·
1,251 Posts
Subscribed!!! I so need a Grom clone for my stable.

I'm not sure how many of those RS 50 bikes there are in the US, though my aforementioned friend has one. I'm still blown away when he posts pics of the thing. You'd never know it's only packing 50cc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts