Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Never heard that before. I thought it was a vacuum petcock that would not leak fuel down when there was not vacuum from a running engine present. It was a safety measure in case the float valve failed and then fuel would end up on the floor and in the crankcase.

Here is another replacement to eliminate the vacuum function that eventually fails on most. http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-motorcycle-parts-accessories-HONDA-REPLACEMENT-PETCOCK-SIRIUS-CONSOLIDATED-INC-W0QQAdIdZ172756775

·
Registered
85 Posts
I part out bikes and sell used parts, and have owned a few Sabres to ride....somebody fed you a line. The fuel is fed to the carbs like your lawn mower, by gravity. The vacuum line to it...is as I explained. There is no need for a fuel pump. Do some research or check your repair manual. Petcocks on the Sabre VF750S and VF700S were the same from 82 to 85. They are obsolete even though they are still listed on cycle sale sites parts fiche diagrams and price lists. The part would come from Honda and there are none available. You would be very lucky to find even a NOS part now.

Honda part # 16950-MB0-033
1982 Honda VF750S V45 SABRE
1983 Honda VF750S V45 SABRE
1984 Honda VF700S SABRE
1985 Honda VF700S SABRE

You might find a repair kit for yours, but I haven't seen any listed lately. Even oldbikebarn.com does not show any available.

Good luck with it, whatever you decide to do.
Bob

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can get the petcock rebuild kits on ebay all day long for around 20 dollars. Or you can do like I did and bypass the vaccum operation and make the petcock function like others. and it's much cheaper than the rebuild kit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I want to resurrect this thread. I have a vf700s, I just replaced the fuel petcock from another bike, everything looks still in decent shape and it doesn't leak, however, the vacuum line I have disconnected and sealed off. This was how the other leaky petcock was setup too. Now, when I drive, I get about 45 - 70 miles and I start to die out and have to switch to the reserve setting. I go to fill up again, and i'm only putting in about 1.5 gallon (out of 5 gallon tank). Does this sound like this petcock acts like a low pressure pump? or least drawing out fuel from the tank when the tank level hits a certain level???

thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.