Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm restoring a 1974 Honda cb360 and I'm wanting to put a new motor on it. does anybody know if anybody even makes 74 cb360 engines that I can buy brand new? or is there another engine that will fit that can be bought brand new for a reasonable price? Any info is much appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure if anything is wrong. I just don't have the know how or tools to give it a professional inspection and run through. I cracked it open and everything looks clean in there. I'm trying to find a professional mech. To look at it for me but I'm not having any luck. I'm aiming to fix it up and sell it. Thought it would be easier with a brand new engine.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
If it runs well, the best idea would be to leave well enough alone and just sell it. If a buyer really wanted a new engine, they could just buy a new motorcycle instead of something 40 years old.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You make a great point. I'm not sure if it runs. It's been sitting for 15 years. I want to restore it to original condition like it was in '74. I'll put new seals and hardware on it (some of the bolts and screws are missing) and see how it goes from there.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
The carbs will likely need to be cleaned or rebuilt after sitting for so long. The tires will also need to be replaced because they are long past their expiration date.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks you for your advice. I'll see what I can do with it myself and turn to you guys for help when I need it. I have a feeling we will be talking a lot.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Here is a great place to start. http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm

And a repair manual, They do show up online from time to time, and a Honda factory repair manual is almost mandatory, but I suppose that a Clymer's will do. For electrical, one of the places to fail is the connection from the fuses to the wiring harness as it is too close to battery fumes. This is the cliff's notes version, but there is more....

Love the old Hondas and I have a small herd of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I started my riding career on one of these.

I can't help on where to find an engine. I would try Craigslist for complete bikes in rough shape....

A tip for a quicker 'CB'360. Find a CL360 and put that engine in the CB360. The transmission gearing is lower.

If you want a really interesting bike of this vintage, try the CB350-4.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts