Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to buy a bunch of Honda bikes, but haven't seen them yet.

I'm guessing there are maybe 50 to 70. A couple are probably from the 60s, some from the 70s, 80s, maybe a few from the 90s.

It's all guessing right now. I know the guy that owns vaguely but have not talked to him yet about them, hoping to talk to him and go see them tomorrow.

Some may be pretty valuable as he was in the business for quite a few years. for the most part, they've not been touched in years from what I understand from a third-party.

I know nothing about bikes though. Looking at this as a way to possibly make a little money buying and reselling. I figure on just looking at them and writing down the models, serial numbers, hopefully taking some pictures if there is enough light in the garage (crappy camera) and looking them up on eBay. Is there another place to go once I have more information?

Just sitting for so long, any seals would need to be replaced? So carburetors rebuilt? Fuel lines? It would seem that tires would be dry rotted. With all the gaskets and the motors most likely need to be replaced as well? Some have sat for 20 plus years untouched.

A very good chance that the insides of the gas tanks are all rusted? Maybe even a gel in them by now it they were put in there with fuel still inside?

Being that old, would they probably just be better for parts? Some are probably dirt bikes but I think the majority are street bikes and some I'm thinking have few miles on them.

I know this is all conjecture at the moment but I have been in the garage with the bikes many years ago but I paid no attention.

The third party guessed that there were 120 in there, but probably an exaggeration. After tomorrow I am hoping to know a lot more.

Any information/advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
You need TITLES for the bikes in some states. Make sure that you know the law in your state concerning this. Getting a title for a bike missing one may cost more than the bike is worth. On the bikes that do not have titles,you need to run a VIN check to make sure that they are not stolen. Just google VinCheck and select the national insurance crime bureau. Free and easy to do.

If you do separate the bikes to be parted out,you need to separate the assemblies into parts that have the proper Honda part number. That is the way that your buyer is gonna be looking for them, so you are going to need to be super organized in doing this. There is software for assigning part numbers to your bike's parts and also cross reference for all the bikes your parts will fit. Very important for internet sales

Same way on dealing with internet sales. That is where you could make your best money,but if you do not provide fast and honest service, then you made your own nightmare. Personally,I would suck at it. Customers trying to get one over on me is what I hate, and you might have to suck it up and give some stuff away to keep up your rating high

However,I would probably be very good at cleaning the gas tanks and carbs and knowing how to wiggle parts off the bike and preparing them for sale. You never did mention how much you would have to give for these bikes. That figure is going to vary across the country, but I imagine that if you tell us the offer,some of the smart guys on this forum could offer some pretty good advice.

Hopefully,someone who has actually done this will give some advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the Reply Slumlord.

I just talked to him, he said he counted about 80, but he was going to keep a few (probably the vintage ones), and most of the others were only parts of bikes. So, I am not so interested.

I asked him how much he wanted for them as a lot, but he did not give me a number. The third party I talked to the other day said $15,000 was what he wanted to get out of them.

He along with this uncle owned/ran a dealership/shop for many years, so I don't think any of them being stolen would be an issue.

It looks like he may be more interested in selling piece by piece rather than in one lot as he asked me if I sell online, saying that he may be interested in working out a deal that way. I'm not real interested in that as I am limited physically, but if I do try it, I will post another reply with a list.

Thanks again

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm not trying to be cruel, but you have way too many questions to be considering such a large purchase. And the fact that he's going " to keep a few" leads me to believe he's not going to let you have any that are really valuable. If you're not a mechanic and these bikes have been sitting as long as you believe they have been, you'll be getting in way over your head.

I think you need to start small, buy one bike from someone first, and restore that and see how easy/hard it is and then you'll know if this is something you can dive into. Lots of people spend a year or two or three and a couple thousand dollars restoring ONE bike, what the heck will you do with 80?!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lots of people spend a year or two or three and a couple thousand dollars restoring ONE bike, what the heck will you do with 80?!
Sell them as is, that was the plan anyway. With almost all having parts missing, sounds like not such a good plan now. They have $ and had a dealership I think since the 60's, so I figured there are some valuable bikes in there.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
You need TITLES for the bikes in some states. Make sure that you know the law in your state concerning this. Getting a title for a bike missing one may cost more than the bike is worth. On the bikes that do not have titles,you need to run a VIN check to make sure that they are not stolen. Just google VinCheck and select the national insurance crime bureau. Free and easy to do.

If you do separate the bikes to be parted out,you need to separate the assemblies into parts that have the proper Honda part number. That is the way that your buyer is gonna be looking for them, so you are going to need to be super organized in doing this. There is software for assigning part numbers to your bike's parts and also cross reference for all the bikes your parts will fit. Very important for internet sales

Same way on dealing with internet sales. That is where you could make your best money,but if you do not provide fast and honest service, then you made your own nightmare. Personally,I would suck at it. Customers trying to get one over on me is what I hate, and you might have to suck it up and give some stuff away to keep up your rating high

However,I would probably be very good at cleaning the gas tanks and carbs and knowing how to wiggle parts off the bike and preparing them for sale. You never did mention how much you would have to give for these bikes. That figure is going to vary across the country, but I imagine that if you tell us the offer,some of the smart guys on this forum could offer some pretty good advice.

Hopefully,someone who has actually done this will give some advice.

+1;)
Without Titles.....almost.useless trying to sell complete bike!
As Slumlord says....parting them out is an option, but remember....I would do some research on ebay and see what like parts are selling for,:smiley_drinkcoffee: also, may take a while to part em out.....so, if a quick flip is what you are looking for....PM me, I can refer you to some local folks I know ( East Tennessee) who deal strictly in buying selling Vintage bikes.:icon_cool:....Just an idea.Oh Yeah, Condition of bike and whether running or not and the price matter of course!!!.Be cautious! Sometimes Vintage bikes arent worth what we hope/ think! I have seen a LOT of folks get burned.
Good Luck
Ed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
so, if a quick flip is what you are looking for
That was the idea, and maybe try getting a couple running if it was not too expensive.

There might just be a bunch of frames with a wheel or two on them, I don't know. It seemed he was looking to sell them individually but the third party said he was looking to sell them all in one shot, that is what interested me.

I'm supposed to call him back in a week but it just doesn't sound as good after talking to the main man.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Based on the questions yo'uer asking I'd say you are DEFINITELY NOT the guy to be buying these bikes. YOur'e looking to make money. Let some giuy who loves old Hondas do it and BARELYU brake even. YOu're gonna lose your azz.
d

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
It sounds like what you would be buying looks about like this:

If they're running the Last Resort bar near here will give you a hundred bucks or so for a bike. They hang them in trees and lock the throttle open and let 'em scream until they self destruct, or they beat them apart with baseball bats and sledge hammers and stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts