Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I have been looking at older Honda Motorcycles to have for a first bike. Mostly just want to get around back roads of town. Friend of mine was buying motorcycle parts from the new owner of a house. The previous owner died was a mechanic. Well he says theres two old Hondas in the basement with no keys. Thinks they are a 350 & 550 twins but not into Hondas so wasn't sure. They are both painted yellow with a modified/new exhaust. They both turn over.
The guy wants $500 for the two bikes.

I am interested but not sure about the keys.
Can Honda make the keys for me? How much does that cost?
Thanks

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
My local locksmith can make missing keys. I need to take the ignition out and get him the code stamped into it, as well as the year and model. He can order the blank and cut the key from the code. Easy stuff.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I took an ignition into a locksmith out of an older Yamaha once, he cut me a key for about $15

·
Visionary
4,615 Posts
Making keys or changing the ignition lock isn't a big deal or expensive for any locksmith or a dealer for the bike, or a decent mechanic,that won't cost you too much. You can probably remove the lock and get it running yourself if your handy, then just put in a new one

I'd worry more about titles if the owner died..make sure you can get the bikes legally into your name and registered if you intend to use them on the road.

Hey,
I have been looking at older Honda Motorcycles to have for a first bike. Mostly just want to get around back roads of town. Friend of mine was buying motorcycle parts from the new owner of a house. The previous owner died was a mechanic. Well he says theres two old Hondas in the basement with no keys. Thinks they are a 350 & 550 twins but not into Hondas so wasn't sure. They are both painted yellow with a modified/new exhaust. They both turn over.
The guy wants $500 for the two bikes.

I am interested but not sure about the keys.
Can Honda make the keys for me? How much does that cost?
Thanks

·
Registered
943 Posts
There is a number on the lock and you can find matching keys on eBay for about $15 each - LOTS of them out there!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that sounds good about the keys.
Does anyone have any comments on the price? I'm not into the unoriginal yellow paint, or the modified exhaust, but 500 sounds like it might be ok, and atleast a good start for me as original old Hondas around my state run pretty expensive. I'm not experienced with motorcycles so not so sure on price. However, I do all my own work I can on my machines so am willing to put in work associated with an older bike.
Will be hearing more about the bikes and getting pictures soon.
Thanks for the comment on titles I am going to call my dmv.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
2 complete Honda bikes with free engines stored inside, $500 sounds fine. I bet the seller would go a bit lower though.

Make sure the exhausts are both solid and there are no obvious deal breakers.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
thats a great price. yeah if there are problems you will be out some $, but thats part of the two wheeled plan of the wild american biker.

I would tell them that you might need to buy something and ask if they would take 400(maybe) then if they said no, I would be ready to give the 500.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds good. I think I am going to go buy them, but if I don't and leave the seller with "I'll let you know later", where can I find the vin numbers? If I leave with no bikes I want to atleast have the vin numbers to check on. They are repainted and no decals or logos so I hope the vin is still legible.
By the way I checked with my dmv and they say the guy who found the bikes in his basement can't just take ownership of them. They say that in CT I need to have a shop put in an abandoned request, then the shop takes ownership and sells to me. Ha yea right. So I found a cheaper way: register it in Vermont, then transfer reg. to CT. Will cost 48$ plus tax on value of bike to register in VT.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Sounds good. I think I am going to go buy them, but if I don't and leave the seller with "I'll let you know later", where can I find the vin numbers? If I leave with no bikes I want to atleast have the vin numbers to check on. They are repainted and no decals or logos so I hope the vin is still legible.
By the way I checked with my dmv and they say the guy who found the bikes in his basement can't just take ownership of them. They say that in CT I need to have a shop put in an abandoned request, then the shop takes ownership and sells to me. Ha yea right. So I found a cheaper way: register it in Vermont, then transfer reg. to CT. Will cost 48$ plus tax on value of bike to register in VT.
Honda VIN numbers are on a plate on the frame behind the headlight. If the plate is painted over, they are engraved into the plate, but harder to read.

Please run for being stolen by going to VinCheck and entering the VIN. It is free to use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts