Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all i'm new here, (hopefully posted this in the right section)
Well to sum it up, i'm thinking about getting my learners, I have rode pit bikes on and off (up to a 125c) and I don't have my car licence yet (need to have a full licence driver with you for a year)
I have a few questions.
I'm on a tight budget, that means for bike, gear, etc.
My best mates mum has given up riding motorcycles after riding for her whole life, she has a bike that's been sitting in the shed for years and I said I might be interested in buying it for the right price.
It's a suzuki GN250 (late 80's early 90's model) with what looks like 73869kms on it.
She said years ago when she did ride it, that it was good, she also said it would need a service, probably new brake pads and just a general tidy up. (maybe tyres)

I'm wondering how much this would be worth ($AUD)? she is not sure on a price yet.

How much would it cost to get it on the road (brake pads, etc)

My other question/concern is that this bike does not have ABS and most of the cheap/older bikes out there don't. Since I am a newer rider would this be an issue?S

Sorry for the long post! but thank you for any help in advance!

·
American Legion Rider
25,916 Posts
In a few words, not very much. If the bike was in good shape and could be ridden away, about $700aud according to USA NADA pricing. Poor condition which that bike most definitely is, $280aud and much less. That's for a 1988 GN250J so it might be different if you can get the exact year and model. Really she should just give it to you.

·
On The Road Again!
4,192 Posts
From the looks of the rust, that bike has been sitting a LONG time.
I agree with Hog. The right price is Free. And even that might be
too much.
If you do end up with it, first thing to do is clean out the gas tank.
It is certainly rusty inside and you don't want that **** sucked into
your carburetor.

·
American Legion Rider
25,916 Posts
It’s good candidate for a rat bike or the like. Strip it of everything including fuel tank it is as bad as I think it might be and find anything that can replace it. Get the engine going and have fun going places no one would go with it. Maybe you’ll luck out with the tank though. Keep your fingers crossed if she does tell to take it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the reply's so far people! Yeah i'm hoping if i get this for real cheap/free or something that I can do the minimum just to get it on the road and then do any further cleaning up/maintenance.
She did say she started it up last year but didn't ride it.
My plan is to get it jump started or something (assuming the battery is flat) and give it a bit of a test ride and go from there.
This bike would just be for around town and getting around, nothing really over 60kmph.
Any more help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Will update.

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
615 Posts
It’s a good place to start. It’s a low miles bike. The right size. Sure there’s gonna be stuff u gotta do to it. That bike will clean up great.
Plenty of good guys here will help u fixing it.
Get the license, get it running, ride.

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
615 Posts
Ya. Will it clean up like that no. If the fork tubes are rusted/pitted bad they will leak. But hey, from start to finish, a great thing all in all.
Just making the deal. Tell the lady, tough shape it’s worth, what did u guys say nada was, 250? It’s a bit worse than that. But u really want it. And at that age money is hard to come by.
Get her to tell u what she wants. If it’s way too much, tell her no offense but from your end u just can’t make it work. Maybe offer to help her with some odd jobs or whatever. Clean that garage up, clean out her rain gutters, whatever she might need. Don’t take advantage of her, learn how to negotiate. You both might have something the other needs or wants.
Try and meet in the middle.
That bike is a kind of survivor. The seat cover doesn’t have a tear in it. It’s all original paint. It’s all there. And remember, the white number on the odometer, is tenths of a mile, or km, whatever it is over there.
Good luck dude.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well to sum it up, i'm thinking about getting my learners, I have rode pit bikes on and off (up to a 125c) and I don't have my car licence yet (need to have a full licence driver with you for a year)
I have a few questions.
My best mates mum has given up riding motorcycles after riding for her whole life, she has a bike that's been sitting in the shed for years and I said I might be interested in buying it for the right price.
It's a suzuki GN250 (late 80's early 90's model) with what looks like 73869kms on it.
She said years ago when she did ride it, that it was good, she also said it would need a service, probably new brake pads and just a general tidy up. (maybe tyres)

I'm wondering how much this would be worth ($AUD)? she is not sure on a price yet.

My other question/concern is that this bike does not have ABS and most of the cheap/older bikes out there don't. Since I am a newer rider would this be an issue?S

View attachment 60777 View attachment 60778 View attachment 60779
View attachment 60776
I have a few questions.

View attachment 60777 View attachment 60778 View attachment 60779
View attachment 60776
Hello, you had me when you stated it has
73869 kilometers on it. FYI the last digit is tenths of km....7389.9. km.
So it only has recorded 4589 miles.
If the odometer has been functional, that is not at all bad and a decent candidate for renovating. I have worked on several bikes in similar condition as this one. As 'Offcenter has alluded to, fuel tank and carbs are priority. Brakes, Forks and shocks next. Then exterior de-ox and clean.
I have brought several bikes back from similar condition. Never going to get yours perfect, however it should be ideal for a first bike. The GN250 was produced from 1981-1987. A great place to see information>

motorcyclespecs.co.za
Click manufacturer>Suzuki>GN250
Incidentally it appears on page.5

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
615 Posts
Single cylinder, 4 stroke. That bike will give good low end power. Not like a Ninja or whatever, that needs to scream all the time. Easy to ride. No fairing, easy to work on, everything’s right there. Air cooled, no water or antifreeze to worry about.

Geez, the more I think about it, the more I want one lol.?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts