Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all, so I have practically zero experience with motorcycles (riding a dirt bike when I was 13 once or twice is the closest I have). Now, I'll have my car fully paid off next june. So I'm looking to get a bike some time between this Christmas and then and was hoping you guys could help out with some recommendations (and questions) :)

The First one that I was looking at was the Kawasaki Vulcan S. I really like the look of it, and it seems like a good price for what you get.
The other one, and this is one my boss recommended (He's a big time bike guy, used to race circuit in California when he was younger) was the Harley sportster.

Another one that i'm looking at is the Yamaha FZ07

Right now i'm leaning more towards a cruiser or a naked/standard bike.

As for me, this is mainly gonna be a commuter bike. I don't need to get on the freeway to get to work, and i'm maybe 5 miles away. And so It probably won't see much highway use (I'll use my car for that). Especially since the highway here is dangerous enough as a car (people are stupid drivers in Houston).

Now, obviously I"m going to go test drive as many bikes as I can before buying one to get a feel for how they fit me (I'm 5'9" 'bout 200lbs) and am planning on taking a course when my schedule frees up from work (hopefully soon lol).But would love any other recommendations/advice y'all can give!

Also as a follow up. The car I drive is a Mustang GT (manual). I know riding a bike is gonna be a lot different, but in terms of being used to driving a stickshift on something with a decent power train, how will that affect learning on a bike? Are there any bad habits that I might have from it that could get me in trouble?

Thanks y'all!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I would suggest taking the course, which will give you an opportunity to assess you skill level, then decide on a bike. Those 250cc bikes seemed tiny, but just about right after the course, at least for me. The FZ 07 is fairly powerful, which can lead to trouble if you don't know how to control it. The Sportster is pretty heavy for a newb, which some can do. A lot probably depends on your confidence level, which is why taking the course is important.

Another train of thought is to buy a decent used bike while you ramp your skill set up because the chances you're going to drop your bike are fairly high and you'll taking a much smaller depreciation hit on a used bike than a new one. Then, when your ready, you can upgrade to the bike you want. Good Luck.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I would second you taking the BRC. The Vulcan S looks like a fantastic starter bike. If I were shorter (6'5), i would be looking at it myself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would suggest taking the course, which will give you an opportunity to assess you skill level, then decide on a bike. Those 250cc bikes seemed tiny, but just about right after the course, at least for me. The FZ 07 is fairly powerful, which can lead to trouble if you don't know how to control it. The Sportster is pretty heavy for a newb, which some can do. A lot probably depends on your confidence level, which is why taking the course is important.

Another train of thought is to buy a decent used bike while you ramp your skill set up because the chances you're going to drop your bike are fairly high and you'll taking a much smaller depreciation hit on a used bike than a new one. Then, when your ready, you can upgrade to the bike you want. Good Luck.
yea, there's a very solid change that a lot will change once I take the coarse. These are what i've been looking at solely through online research haha.

And yea the fz07 is a decent sized engine, but from what I"ve been researching, and a couple people that have recommended it have said. Is that it's a decent beginner bike just because of how linear the power curve is, and thus making it easy to ride.

I very well might go with a small 250cc to start too, just to save on insurance costs...I'm gonna have to go talk to some people in person. Cause online quotes are just stupid expensive (I'm talking 4k per year). Coming from someone who has never made a claim, nor gotten a ticket in my life. (23 years old)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys, old time rider returning to the scene. Just purchased the Honda NC700X 2012, only 1800 miles on it. Generally, how many miles can I expect this bike to go. I know its fairly new to the motorcycle world but i'm already putting on more miles than I expected. I'm sure that will change when winter hits. I live in central California so its nice the majority of the time. currently commuting to work 3xs a week. put on about 300 mi in the last two weeks but I want to go everywhere with it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hey guys, old time rider returning to the scene. Just purchased the Honda NC700X 2012, only 1800 miles on it. Generally, how many miles can I expect this bike to go. I know its fairly new to the motorcycle world but i'm already putting on more miles than I expected. I'm sure that will change when winter hits. I live in central California so its nice the majority of the time. currently commuting to work 3xs a week. put on about 300 mi in the last two weeks but I want to go everywhere with it.
As long as you do the maintenance, it should go well over 100,000 miles. I just talked to a motorcycle cop who had over 250,000 on his Honda ST1300, he changed motors one time at 200K. Other than that, just maintenance. And believe me, cops are not easy on their bikes.

My first street bike was a 1984 Honda Magna and I put close to 50K on it in two years. Other than oil changes, tires, and plugs, I didn't do a thing to it.

300 miles in two weeks is nothing.

·
Registered
804 Posts
And yea the fz07 is a decent sized engine, but from what I"ve been researching, and a couple people that have recommended it have said. Is that it's a decent beginner bike just because of how linear the power curve is, and thus making it easy to ride.
You should probably go ahead and cross anything that powerful off your list. The FZ07 is definitely not a beginner bike. Judging by your choice of car, I'm assuming you like power and the thrill of driving, like I do. But a motorcycle is a whole lot less forgiving when you go into a turn too fast. Get something small-ish and focus on mastering control of the bike, then move up when you're abilities are ready. Trust me, on a smaller bike, you can weave through turns a lot more efficiently than a larger bike any way.

I very well might go with a small 250cc to start too, just to save on insurance costs...I'm gonna have to go talk to some people in person. Cause online quotes are just stupid expensive (I'm talking 4k per year). Coming from someone who has never made a claim, nor gotten a ticket in my life. (23 years old)
Insurance is a killer. It's largely based on your driving record and engine size/make/model of the bike. I currently own an 800 cc bike. It's costs me $115/mo. I priced a 1000cc bike by the same manufacturer (both were Nakeds), it ran close to $200/mo. I've been riding since I was 6 y.o., never had a claim and haven't had a ticket in 15 years. In your case, it's definitely worth looking at smaller CCs for insurance costs alone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey thanks for the good news. I was hoping that a bike with half a honda car engine would get at least half the miles of a regular honda car, lol. I'll keep up with it, great forum. Thanks again

·
Registered
650 Posts
I currently own an 800 cc bike. It's costs me $115/mo. I priced a 1000cc bike by the same manufacturer (both were Nakeds), it ran close to $200/mo. I've been riding since I was 6 y.o., never had a claim and haven't had a ticket in 15 years. In your case, it's definitely worth looking at smaller CCs for insurance costs alone.
Interesting, I priced out some similar sized bikes when I was thinking about upgrading and it was like $250 a year or less, depending on the bike. My current 250 is $70 a year for full coverage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts