Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next weekend the International Motorcycle Show comes to Chicago, and as I do every year, I will be going along with a few friends who are also riders. I hope that some vendors whose products I have been looking at on-line are there so that I can see the products for real, including a Sena communications set up for mine and my wife's helmets, and hard bags to replace the leather ones I have on my bike right now. I'm sure many on this forum have already been to this show as it travels around the country. Any recommendations about new and exciting things you saw? Any suggestions about things not to miss at the show? I appreciate any replies before I go next Friday.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The Progressive show? I went last month to the one in Dallas and have a few other times. It was good. There weren't as many vendors as usual. A few weren't even selling anything. They had a table and catalogs.

Lots of bikes still. Hyosong (sp?), the Korean bike maker, was there with bikes. They looked pretty okay. Chrome was second rate, and the suspension wasn't much. I sat on two, and took up all the travel. The seats are hard like high school bleachers. Nice paint. All the important parts looked well made. HD had a booth where you could ride a bike on a dyno type setup, but it wasn't a dyno. That was cool. They had the same thing for the Livewire. That bike sounds amazing.

·
Registered
633 Posts
The show is here in Minneapolis this weekend. If everything lines up, I'm thinking about going to see if there's anything I like.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The Toronto Ontario show is in a couple of weeks, we can't wait!

http://www.torontomotorcycleshow.ca/

My wife especially. She's had an Indian Scout pre-ordered since last August, and is STILL waiting for it :icon_mad: she's tempted to bail out on that bike just because of all the delays and NO communication from Indian/Polaris other than "we're sorry for the delay" blah blah. So the motorcycle show will give her a great opportunity to see what else is out there that she may like.

I like to go look at everything & grab the newest brochures. For specific bikes, I'd like to see the newest Indian "Dark Horse", the Harley LiveWire, and even the Polaris Slingshot although it's not technically a motorcycle ;) I still LOVE my Raider but there's no point in getting excited about seeing the 2015 model because Yamaha hasn't changed anything on it, lol

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The Timonium Motorcycle show is this weekend. I'm going tomorrow for a couple of hours. I hear it's really nice and organized.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Unkle Crusty, the one you are talking about is the bike show, as in bicycles...looks like the motorcycle show hits Seattle in November :-(

·
Premium Member
7,848 Posts
Bike

Unkle Crusty, the one you are talking about is the bike show, as in bicycles...looks like the motorcycle show hits Seattle in November :-(
Oh darn. Messed that up.
Better type in motorcycle next time.
I am having the boat hauled out fairly soon. Could be busy working on it for a few weeks. Will know more about schedule after it is out.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
Wow, the Minneapolis show yesterday was PACKED! It's the busiest I have seen it in years and we had a decent amount of vendors.

Impressions...

Ducati Scrambler= pretty cool, but small. A lot more compact than I was expecting from the pics I had seen.

Yamaha FJ-09= Now on my short list of future touring bikes. Much more upright than the FJR. Seating position more akin to the Tenere, even for my 6'2"/190 frame, it seemed quite comfortable and roomy.

Triumph booth was swarmed by hipsters

Victory Magnum= Beautiful scoot. Fit and Finish rivaling HD's CVO bikes. If I were into baggers, or a touring cruiser; I would probably go with a standard CC; but the Magnum is a brilliant bike.

Music= Katy Perry playing in the HD area:confused: Black Keys at the Indian booth, and White Stripes at the Victory booth. Polaris has good taste in music.

Eagle Rider booth had some interesting speakers talking about travelling the world. We sat for about an hour before leaving for the Irish pub up the street.

Yamaha Bolt C-spec= Very cool café style modification to the neat 950 bike. A bit cramped for my 36" inseam, (damn these long legs sometimes!)

Disappointed that there were was no one selling armored jeans, but overall I got to check out al the new models I wanted to see.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,127 Posts
The Timonium Motorcycle show is this weekend. I'm going tomorrow for a couple of hours. I hear it's really nice and organized.
I went Friday with a couple of other riders, lots of nice bikes, some not so nice, and lots of stuff for sale. Ran into my instructor from the BRC at the State DMV's booth.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Critter. I rode up to Baltimore yesterday. I stopped at Bobsbmw on my way home. The shop was so empty and I asked why. Reason being, the motorcycle show. Missed it again. :mad:

We'll, At least I got a nice ride in.

·
13,127 Posts
They had a booth there. They also had several older bikes that had been restored on display

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ducati Scrambler= pretty cool, but small. A lot more compact than I was expecting from the pics I had seen.
That was my favorite bike. Of course my inseam is a lot shorter than 36". It reminded me of a larger version of my TU250x, which I like a lot, but I'd never buy one as the Ducati dealer is a long way from me.

My next favorite was the Vulcan S. I could see myself riding that down the road once my skill level increases, though I'm not sure about the feet forward position.

I kind of liked the Honda Forza, but couldn't find a comfortable position for my feet.

The two bikes I wanted to sit on the most, the BMW G650 GS and the Yamaha FZ-07, were my least favorite. The pegs sit under your butt, which I don't find find very comfortable. I like the peg position on my TUX, which seems about 3"-4" more forward.

All of this pushes me toward the Moto Guzzi V7, which also seems like a larger of my TUX and there's a dealer 30 minutes from me, though I've never sat on one. There's another dealer about two hours from me that's got three left over 2013 V7s, but they're not budging much at all on the price. It's their right I guess, but I don't feel like paying 30% more than the bike's worth after I drive it off the lot. The V7 II is coming later this year and if I'm going to pay full price, I'd rather have that as it's got ABS and traction control. Plus, if I pay full price and buy it from my local dealer, I'm guessing they'll kiss my hind end a little more.

I tried to go look at some saddle bags, but it was so crowded over there, I decided to pass.

I did see a guy riding riding what looked like a DR650 when I was walking back to my car. I think the temps were like 30°Fish.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The Timonium show is always great and this year was no exception. I made it to the International Show in New York and D.C. in addition to Timonium. I'd say Timonium is my favorite show. The New York show has gotten much smaller in recent years and D.C. is such a hassle to get to. Timonium had a section devoted to adventure riders with a few world travelers speaking. Great stuff and some amazing stories.

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
I did see a guy riding riding what looked like a DR650 when I was walking back to my car. I think the temps were like 30°Fish.
I also saw a few bikes out in the city and a couple guys in the show with gear on and carrying helmets.

·
13,127 Posts
The Timonium show is always great and this year was no exception. I made it to the International Show in New York and D.C. in addition to Timonium. I'd say Timonium is my favorite show. The New York show has gotten much smaller in recent years and D.C. is such a hassle to get to. Timonium had a section devoted to adventure riders with a few world travelers speaking. Great stuff and some amazing stories.
I spent about 30 - 45 minutes talking Benica Punko. She spent 7 years travelling the world on a BMW. Her Budget was 7 bucks a day. She had a very interesting story to tell.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts