Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to be in Naples Fl by the 27 of this month. I can't really fly because of several reasons. I was thinking of riding my 2005 Aero I would have to put a new rear tire on but other than that I think 1190 miles would be OK. I would stay of the interstate cause I am a fairly new rider (3 month), my longest day in the saddle (stock) is about 120 miles. Any suggestions?

·
On The Road Again!
3,388 Posts
Sounds to me like it would be a heck of an adventure!
Put the new tire on and GO!!

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
When are you planning on leaving? If it's not for a few days I would suggest you do a couple 300 mile days to kind of condition your body to riding longer. Is the 1190 miles calculated on interstate or on lesser highways?

Personally I would say go for the ride. Allow plenty of time so you can pull over if you get into a storm or to wait for rush hour to be over. We tour a lot and have learned that you can't always count on being somewhere at an exact day & time. I refuse to ride thru any big city during rush hour. If you have the option stop on the other side in the evening so that the next morning you are going away from traffic.

Have fun and stay safe on your trip!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 1190 is avoiding the highways and I would be leaving the 25th of October from central Illinois. The other option is greyhound bus and ticket is $175 each way and going up longer I wait.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Actually, controlled access highways are a lot safer than surface roads. There is less opportunity for someone to cross your right of way, which is the most common form of motorcycle crash.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Does your bike have enough luggage space to hold all your stuff? Think about everything you might need for the trip & pile it all onto the livingroom floor to get a good look at it's mass,, will it all fit on the bike?

.. including decent rain gear, etc?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,127 Posts
You are looking at close to 600 miles a day as a new rider. That is about 12 hours a day not counting rest and /or fuel stop. I would recommend adding another full day to each end of the trip if you are going to do it.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Yep, I agree with Critter, as a new rider that says your longest day is about 120 miles, you definitely need to add a couple days to the trip time. What happens if you get into a bad storm that lasts.

Also, what Dods said is true, sometimes riding interstate is safer, no left turners, no one pulling out in front of you, etc. If you were riding for fun and scenery you would want to take the secondary roads, but to make it to a destination in the shortest time the interstate is the way to go. Again, just don't go thru a major city in rush hour. Good luck to you and have some fun on the trip.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Does your bike have enough luggage space to hold all your stuff? Think about everything you might need for the trip & pile it all onto the livingroom floor to get a good look at it's mass,, will it all fit on the bike?

.. including decent rain gear, etc?
Or, take only what you need for the ride itself and put the rest in a box and mail it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I really do appreciate all the advise I received. After pricing the tire $169 and install $100 cause I don't feel comfortable yet doing it myself, along with not sure if I have all gear for weather that may be necessary. I have opted to take the greyhound, thanks again to everyone who talked this out with me.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Awe shucks! I thought we were talking you into this. I'm sure you would enjoy having a bike in Florida. But I can understand why you aren't. Either way I hope you enjoy your trip.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Nike Sez:

Just do it. Never turn away from an adventure!

And it's not an adventure if it doesn't take you outside of your comfort zone!

You'll get back a much better rider than you are today.

Greyhound? Really? You meet the STRANGEST people there.. including some who are adverse to bathing...

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
If you don't have any experience with long rides, just figure you will need to pull in after 300 or 400 miles on day one. Even with just a few days of riding you will find you can ride further each day. Enjoy the journey and remember it is not the destination but the journey itself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well again thanks for the advise and encouragement I've decided against riding with the dog people (greyhound) and just take my car.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well again thanks for the advise and encouragement I've decided against riding with the dog people (greyhound) and just take my car.
Probably the best way to go this time of year. It can get pretty cold this time of year. Without the proper gear and distance riding experience you may end up being miserable.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Before I would take a ride like that,motorcycle insurance including towing would definitely be part of the plan.
The importance of arriving on time can over-rule any other consideration,so I understand that you are doing what is best for you.

Would I take off on my CB360? NO. My CB 750? Yes,with a new chain and fork seals...

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Since it's an old thread and the excitement never happened. I remember when I was a new rider with no time, I wouldn't have hesitated to take a 1200 mile ride. At that time, I could do that without an aspirin, rain wouldn't have been an issue, and I probably wouldn't have stopped for anything more than gas, a bite to eat, and bathroom stops. I did several long rides on my 350 Motosport and 750 Hondas, and never once thought about anything other than getting going.

Now that I have matured a little, physically, I wouldn't do it without planning, but I still wouldn't hesitate to do 2000 miles in a weekend, it will just be on a better suited bike.

Would I do 1200 miles on my 360 in three days? I might, but I will need a week to recuperate!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I'm with Offcenter and Eye-M ...

GO FOR IT!

Generally I don't do more than 600 miles a day. and for multiple days, I try not to book ahead. I just give myself the freedom to cut any day short if I am tired. "Play it by ear".

You will be fine. But definitely get the tires in good shape.

dT

·
Very Famous Person
9,875 Posts
--

As was pointed out, this is an old thread. As a matter of fact though, I found that as a new rider, when I took a long trip I was on the bike so much each day that I learned a lot in a short amount of days. So probably a good thing for a new rider--that is, condition yourself ahead; be prepared; take your time.

--

1 - 20 of 28 Posts