Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey dudes,
Trying to figure out the process of getting licensed, and I'm military currently living in FL wanting to get licensed in TX. So my understanding is I'll take the BRC, then there's a separate written/skills exam with the DMV, then they'll tac the endorsement on to your drivers license? Searched online and Florida explains the process to get licensed while out of state, looks like just some paperwork, but Texas doesn't and that's where I've got a drivers license and would like to get endorsed. Any guidance? Hope my rambling makes sense.

·
American Legion Rider
21,200 Posts
I scanned the whole drivers manual and see nothing mentioned about out of state. My guess is they'll want you to go to a DPS office in person but there is a phone number way down the manual in this link. I'd call them directly and get the information they require straight from them.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/internetforms/Forms/DL-8.pdf

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,838 Posts
As hog said go on down, make sure they know you are military as there are special rules for them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured it out, there is an out of state application so I'm good. Taking the BRC qualifies as the motorcycle safety course required for the endorsement though doesn't it?

·
12,838 Posts
I believe it will, also check on base, they will also have a mandatory course you will have to take to ride. It may actually be all you need to take. The one's here are free to active duty.

By the way thank you for your service.

·
American Legion Rider
21,200 Posts
I may be wrong but I think BRC gives you a pass on the riding test but you still need to take the written. I actually hope I'm wrong on that and BRC just plain gives you the endorsement. I just can't see DPS passing up a chance for a fee. Being military may very well give you the whole pass.

·
12,838 Posts
When I took the BRC here part of the course was the written exam. So if you passed both the riding and the written test you got a certificate to take to the DMV. You give them the certificate and some money and you have a motorcycle endorsement.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I still gotta check into what I need to do to comply with military safety junk... Appreciate it!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Not sure about military. I live in Texas and when I started riding again I wanted the motorcycle endorsement on my lic. I took the MSC here and that gave me a by on the rideing but still had to take the writen part.
Hop this helps.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I'm sure its different now, in 80 or 81 at Ft Leonard Wood Mo, some friends took their permit test for Mo, then took their riding test on post and it was sent to their home states and they were sent "valid without photo" license

You probably want to check but in 90 it was required on post to wear a reflective vest and at all times wear a helmet(no matter what the state requires), I don't think the vest was required off post, but I wasn't going to stop at the gate and put it on, then stop on the way out and take it off.

·
American Legion Rider
21,200 Posts
Reflective vest is still required on air bases as well as helmet and gloves now. At least the ones I have to go onto. All restrict concealed hand guns too since that subject is buzzing around.

·
12,838 Posts
What hog says, but it doesn't have to be a vest, anything with reflective strips is good.

·
American Legion Rider
21,200 Posts
Here it also has to be bright. Most jackets aren't but yes anything bright and reflective. The gloves part gets a lot of riders here that get turned around on missions. It's not uncommon to be on a mission to the base with 15 riders and have 5 sent home at the gate. Yet we warn them to begin with. Never fails though. They have their rules and there are no exceptions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts