Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I recommend a new Suzuki GSXR if you feel need to get sportbike. They have A, B, and C engine modes with A being normal, B with slightly less throttle response and lower engine power and C mode basically cutting your engine power and throttle response in half. I think these 3 engine modes are great ways to gradually work your way up normal power, if you ever even feel need for normal power... truth is all these high powered sportbikes on the road never get pushed to their full capabilities, by sane riders anyway. A buddy of mine liked my 08 GSXR 1000, took the MSF course and bought himself one. He's had it for 6 months now and hasn't been in anything but C mode which is plenty fast and powerful for him to learn on. He's thinking by next summer he'll move up to B mode. He's a big guy, we're both 34, so body size and maturity with focus on living and enjoying the ride allows him to be mentally stable enough to buy a high powered sportbike with a built in baby step engine selector, his size allowing him to better handle a heavier bike.... don't live your cycyle life around other people's opinions. Do you and be smart about it. Be safe about it. You'll be alright.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I hope not. I know it's dumb behavior on their part, but I hate to see young guys getting killed through this kind of stupidity. I have an 18 yr old son myself.

·
Exorcising My Angels
655 Posts
Don't worry about him. We all know 18 year olds are indestructable and don't need to take advice from anyone.

·
Banned
1,272 Posts
i can hit 100 easily in second gear. 0 to 60 in about 3 seconds. i can only hope that kid didnt do something stupid. but 100+hp for a noob it just sketchy.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Toadie,......what it comes down to is this,......"You gotta learn how to walk before you can run!"

Get a bike you can learn on first,.....then then go and do what ever you want.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can get a ******* hayabusa as your first bike as long as you respect the bike and if you dont push the limit u good to go!

·
Premium Member
7,099 Posts
If the OP was 18 when he wrote the post, he will be 30 now. Or he crashed and burned.
Similar questions appear often. It is flat out stupid to buy a bike that is well beyond your ability to ride.
Learn to ride the wheels off a small bike first, then move up. Most of the world does it this way.
The vast majority of world class road race riders, come from countries that do it that way.
Even better IMO is to learn to ride in the dirt. Too many riders have no idea what they do not know, yet they think they know everything.
Go to the track, they are easy to spot.
UK

61 - 73 of 73 Posts